Author Topic: Irland to Chicago - Sarah (Sadie) Gregg, O'Connor, McMahon  (Read 644 times)

Offline Amylevans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irland to Chicago - Sarah (Sadie) Gregg, O'Connor, McMahon
« on: Sunday 17 June 18 16:45 BST (UK) »
Searching for details of my great grandmother Sarah (Sadie) Gregg.

Birth:
Sarah Gregg Born in 1904 Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland to parents Robert Gregg and Martha Burrows.

Emigration:
Sarah Gregg leaves Ireland onboard the Caledonia in Londonderry and arrives in New York on 21 Mar 1929.

1st Marriage:
Between 1929 and 1935 Sarah Gregg moved to Chicago and married a tram conductor for Chicago Surface Lines names James Francis O'Connor (birth Oct 1896) on 26th Oct 1949.

Death of Husband:
James Francis O'Connor died 21st March 1952 ages 55.
I have found census records and draft cards for WW1 and WW2 for James O'Connor but would love to know more about him or how he died.

2nd Marriage:
I have been told by my nan that Sarah (Gregg) O'Connor married a second time. To a man named Mcmahon (or a variation of this name) still living in Chicago.

Death:
We believe Sarah (Gregg) McMahon died in the late 1950's/early 1960's in Chicago.

I would love to know if anyone id connected to either James O'Connor or Mr McMahon as I have no knowledge of Sarah Gregg's life after her 1st husband (O'Connor) died.

Any help or information would be very much appreciated.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Irland to Chicago - Sarah (Sadie) Gregg, O'Connor, McMahon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 June 18 17:00 BST (UK) »

Death of Husband:
James Francis O'Connor died 21st March 1952 ages 55.
I have found census records and draft cards for WW1 and WW2 for James O'Connor but would love to know more about him or how he died.

Chicago Tribune
Chicago, Illinois
Saturday, March 22, 1952 - Page 10

Just close the clipped article that someone else has saved and then you can pan over to the obit for   O"CONNOR--James F. O'Connor

Obit:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m7q/

Added:

James's death is mentioned twice on this page. Once with the other listed death notices and then again in an article in the first column. His sister died a few hours before he did on the same day.

SISTER, BROTHER
DIE SAME DAY
IN A FEW HOURS

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 June 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
Searching for details of my great grandmother Sarah (Sadie) Gregg.

Death:
We believe Sarah (Gregg) McMahon died in the late 1950's/early 1960's in Chicago.

I would love to know if anyone id connected to either James O'Connor or Mr McMahon as I have no knowledge of Sarah Gregg's life after her 1st husband (O'Connor) died.

Sarah died in 1963. Her 2nd husband was John F. McMahon

Chicago Tribune
Chicago, Illinois
Wednesday, March 20, 1963 - Page 57

Just close the clipped article that someone else has saved and then you can pan over to the obit for McMahon-
Sarah O'Connor McMahon, nee Gregg

Obit:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m7r/

Burial: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2HJ-CD65

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 June 18 18:48 BST (UK) »
I see an obituary in the Chicago Tribune of 15 Oct. 1978 for John F. McMahon, husband of the late Sarah and burial to be in Holy Sepulchre.  Only siblings, nieces, and nephews appear to be mentioned.

I think this death in Florida may be him:  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VV7Q-3SS  The Social Security death index gives his last residence as Vero Beach, Florida and place of last benefit as Chicago.

Offline Amylevans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 June 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
WOW

I must say a massive thank you for finding this information!

I have been going it alone for a few years and have never seen these details before.

I am so happy right now, thank you all