Author Topic: Help with finding Father of my 2nd Great Grandfather  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding Father of my 2nd Great Grandfather
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 June 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
There is a report in the Portsmouth Evening News 14 July 1914 about William Henry Squires aged 38 charged with neglecting his wife & children.  The children are named as William aged 3 and Henry Leonard 3 months, with the address being Highbury Street, Portsmouth - the same as Henry Leonard's birth certificate.

According to the report, William Henry was a doorkeeper at various travelling shows and had been apprehended in London.  An inspector for the Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Children was involved and testified that William Henry had 'systematically neglected his wife and children', although his wife refused to testify against him.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 June 18 16:23 BST (UK) »
There is also a report in the Portsmouth Evening News of 10 Feb 1913 about the suicide of Walter Edward Waters. Report states that details of the discovery were given by William Henry Squires of 60 Highbury Street.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Rebecca Totten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 June 18 16:49 BST (UK) »
There is a report in the Portsmouth Evening News 14 July 1914 about William Henry Squires aged 38 charged with neglecting his wife & children.  The children are named as William aged 3 and Henry Leonard 3 months, with the address being Highbury Street, Portsmouth - the same as Henry Leonard's birth certificate.

According to the report, William Henry was a doorkeeper at various travelling shows and had been apprehended in London.  An inspector for the Society of Prevention of Cruelty to Children was involved and testified that William Henry had 'systematically neglected his wife and children', although his wife refused to testify against him.

Wow this is very interesting! where did you find this?
Tuzio, Verrechia, Quaglieri, Squires, Matthews, Totten, Cooke, Hill

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 18 June 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
Its on the British Newspaper Archive.  Sounds like Ann had quite a hard time of it & had to support the children on her own, but was defending William Henry saying he sent money when he could.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 June 18 17:02 BST (UK) »

Seems his age is a bit fluid!
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 June 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this helps any, but his attestation states that he previously served with the M M Rifles (South Africa)

Not sure if this is the same person but there is a reference to a William Henry Squires in the Western Daily Press (7 June 1902) regarding the Devonshires and the Transvaal War.  Don't have a sub for BNA so cant read the full article.

Added: In a massive leap the Mauser Model Rifle (MM Rifles?) was the main rifle used by the Boers in the 2nd Boer War. Have no idea how that would fit with being a soldier and it may be me just adding 2+2 and making it 5!!!)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 18 June 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is the same person but there is a reference to a William Henry Squires in the Western Daily Press (7 June 1902) regarding the Devonshires and the Transvaal War.  Don't have a sub for BNA so cant read the full article.

The article is about the Transvaal War Fund and mentions disbursements to 15 cases dependent on the sick & wounded fund, including Pte William Henry Squires, Devonshires, on Transvaal telegraph lines for more than 2 years.  Time served man.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 18 June 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
The 1914 newspaper article gives a birth of around 1876 so these entries from the Portsmouth Workhouse Register may or may not be relevant, given how fluid his age is!

13 Jan 1900 William Squires born 1878 admitted from Portsea. Discharged same day
12 Mar 1906 William Squire born 1879 admitted from Portsmouth. Discharged 17 March.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 18 June 18 19:50 BST (UK) »
I think those Portsmouth Workhouse records can probably be ruled out, but the 1911 census entry for Reading is definitely of interest as a William Frederick Squires was baptised 28 May 1911 at St Agnes, Reading, son of William Henry Squires & Annie, a Hawker of 2 Martin Court, Reading - same address as the census & matching with the 1911 birth record with the mmn Hill.