Author Topic: Help with finding Father of my 2nd Great Grandfather  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Rebecca Totten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding Father of my 2nd Great Grandfather
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 June 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
On the 1901 census there is a George Squires living in Holyhead Rd, Handsworth, Staffs (but now classed as Birmingham) - occupation carpenter, with wife Catherine and daughter Mary and 2 sons - George aged 20 and William aged 17 which would be around the right age.

Fay

Hi Fay i have seen that Census before and kept it in mind due to it being Handsworth, but was putting me of as there is no ''Henry'' in either George Squires or William Squires which was making me unsure.

There is a marriage certificate on Ancestry March 1875 for George Squires and Catherine Garle, Christ Church, Quinton.  His occupation is listed as Carpenter - Father Zachariah Squires but i can't read occupation.
They were living at ?Warley, Salop.

1871 census shows George with his father Zacharia living in Somerset.

Fay

I have also seen this aswell.

Not sure if this helps any, but his attestation states that he previously served with the M M Rifles (South Africa)

Hi, i did see that but could not make out what it said. How would i go about looking for service records? I cant seem to find anything for M M Rifles
Tuzio, Verrechia, Quaglieri, Squires, Matthews, Totten, Cooke, Hill

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 June 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
Do you know where William and Ann were in 1911? I note from the attestation in 1914 that they had a three year old son called William. The only William I can see born to a Squires mmn Hill is a William Frederick born June qutr 1911 in Reading. In the 1911 census in Reading there is a William Hy Squires and Wife Ann who have been married a year and have no children. Only problem is he is age 49 and says he was born in Nottingham. She is 25.
May be a complete red herring.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 June 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry, I don't know how to find anything about the MM Rifles reference - perhaps someone on the military boards can offer more help.

Going back to the family living in Holyhead Rd, Handsworth, there is a military record for George Squires born c1881, Smethurst, Birmingham, and he served in South Africa in 1902.  Next of kin confirmed as George & Kate, 98 Holyhead Rd, Handsworth.  Unfortunately no other family is mentioned.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 June 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
There are several trees on Ancestry for George Squires and Catherine Garle which show son William marrying Emma Powell in 1907 and dying in 1934.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 June 18 07:28 BST (UK) »
Can you please list all the information on the birth certificate, 1883, and the marriage certificate, 1909.

Offline Rebecca Totten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 June 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
Do you know where William and Ann were in 1911? I note from the attestation in 1914 that they had a three year old son called William. The only William I can see born to a Squires mmn Hill is a William Frederick born June qutr 1911 in Reading. In the 1911 census in Reading there is a William Hy Squires and Wife Ann who have been married a year and have no children. Only problem is he is age 49 and says he was born in Nottingham. She is 25.
May be a complete red herring.
Isobel

Yes that is the same one i have only been able to find but like you said the Birthplace and Williams age is wrong. Unless it was wrote down wrong. Nottingham could be Birmingham  ???

I'm sorry, I don't know how to find anything about the MM Rifles reference - perhaps someone on the military boards can offer more help.

Going back to the family living in Holyhead Rd, Handsworth, there is a military record for George Squires born c1881, Smethurst, Birmingham, and he served in South Africa in 1902.  Next of kin confirmed as George & Kate, 98 Holyhead Rd, Handsworth.  Unfortunately no other family is mentioned.

Hmm i will look into that. I will also post about where to find service records for MM Rifles. Thank you  :)

Offline Rebecca Totten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 June 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
Can you please list all the information on the birth certificate, 1883, and the marriage certificate, 1909.

Birth certificate i have is the wrong person  :( so wont be of any use.

Marriage Certificate Details of 1909.

William Henry Squires. Birth: abt 1884. Marriage place: Oxford
Father: George Henry Squires. Profession: Furniture Dealer

Spouse: Ann Hill. Birth: Abt 1886
Father: John Hill. Profession: Farm Labourer

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 June 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 June 18 15:18 BST (UK) »
It may help us if you can tell us how you have got to this gt gt grandfather.

Who was your grandfather and who did he marry and when etc .....
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk