Author Topic: Organising certificates - how to group  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Organising certificates - how to group
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 June 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks mowsehowse, that was what i was thinking of doing but couldn’t quite work out the exact order. Several branches have a number of infant deaths - thanks to the GRO pdf offer i have their birth and death certificates - and it seems sensible to file them with their parents.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 June 18 10:48 BST (UK) »
I'm at an interim stage with filing BMDs.

I have 12 multi-punch pockets
---4 for Births - for my maternal line, my paternal line, OH's paternal & maternal lines.
---4 for Marriages ditto
---4 for Deaths ditto
It does mean riffling through  thirty or forty certs to find the one I want!
And some of them are odd-shaped photocopies from Dublin GRO, which lose themselves in among the A4s.

like you, Deirdre, I've not quite decided how to file them properly, but this thread has given me food for thought.
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 June 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
Still puzzling too eadaoin 🙄

Only just ordered my first binder (and innards), and am on holiday the first week in July so have a few weeks to decide on format. Pleased i asked here though, as there are plenty of ideas. 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 June 18 13:03 BST (UK) »
I too keep children's certs in their parents file until marriage, then transferred to the new family file. This works for me as my main research is direct lines, not many offshoots at the moment :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 June 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks cristeen, i too mainly have direct line ancestors, other than the babies born to my grandparents, great and great great grandparents who died young. I was keen to see why so many died (cause, age) and it was interesting to plot the movement of the families over time. As these are pdfs i hope to save both the birth and death onto one page to save space.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 June 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
For what it`s worth, my method is to scan the paper documents, and file the images in surname order. The software I use allows pointers to the images, so I can examine relevant documents directly from the database.

Thus, amongst many others in my "Certificates" folder, I have
ALSTON, Christopher birth 1865.jpg
ALSTON, Christopher & FULHAM, Emily marriage 1891.jpg
ALSTON, Christopher death 1938.jpg
The first is referenced from the entries of Christopher and his parents; the other two are referenced from the entries of Christopher and Emily, since Emily was the informant on the death. In addition, I put my transcriptions of all the events in the main section, so I don't need to refer to the images much.

The actual pieces of paper are "somewhere in that filing cabinet". They are not really important, but the data that's on them is.

Come to think of it, should they get a special mention on an insurance policy? Replacing the paper certs would cost a tidy sum. In my case, should the paper versions go up in smoke, I can live without. The images, like the rest of my data, are backed up in various places besides my home.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 June 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrew, i was just about to come back on here with an update. I too scan in all the certificates, parish records, death notices in the papers etc and save in much the same format as you. All the info from the records is added to my tree (started on Ancestry, now being added to Family Historian). But i felt i needed to file the certificates too, not really to look through, but as evidence. And yes, I wouldn’t want to have to replace them, but not covered on my insurance policy. Using this process as an additional check that i have everything i need (scanned copies - sure i missed scanning a few when they arrived - and detail added to tree).

My first binder and pockets arrived yesterday and although it was supposed to be a project for my leave in a few weeks, I couldn’t wait to start! Filed the males in a pocket on their own, the females birth and marriage in another pocket, then husband and wife deaths in a third. But still couldn’t get my head around an order.

I created a query in Family Historian, based on generations / relationships to the starting person, but that didn’t come out quite right; in searching the FH help i discovered the ahnentafel numbering system (which i’d never heard of until today 🙄). That is just what i wanted, so i’ve printed off the query result and put the 2 pages back to back in another plastic pocket. I’ll print off a tree too for the front of the folder, then the list, and then sort the certificates to match the list. Easy to reorganise if / when i break down the brick walls in my tree.

So that will be one quarter of my combined tree done 😀 Will probably end up with a fifth folder to store all the extra certificates (baby deaths, subsequent marriages etc).

Thanks again for all the comments and advice.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 June 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
Surely ahnentafel only works for direct ancestors  ???  That would mean using some other system for siblings, etc., which would be confusing . . .

Maybe the system is changed from when I last looked at it  :'(
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 June 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
It does yes, but i have just filled a binder with one branch of direct ancestors and there are a couple missing at the moment.

Subsequent marriages i’d hope to add to the branch binder, but babies / siblings and any other non direct ancestors will have to form another binder. Think i’m happy though 😀