Author Topic: What can I hope to find on a christening record?  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What can I hope to find on a christening record?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 June 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
I think you have the wrong 1871 census entry as he is with his wife in Everton and birthplace is Ireland as before.

Annette

It says place of birth is Scotland, not Ireland  ???

Debra  :)

Apologies - went by transcription on Ancestry which states Ireland but now see original page says Scotland.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 June 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
I've seen English census entries where Scots were described as Irish!

Skoosh.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 July 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
Me too also  ;)

I wonder if they tried to guess by accents although numerous people say all census records were filled in by the Heads of household i.e. this is strange?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 July 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
Assisted in many cases by whoever was taking the census!

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 July 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
I wonder if they tried to guess by accents although numerous people say all census records were filled in by the Heads of household i.e. this is strange?
The head of household was asked to fill in a form. The forms were collected by the enumerator who then copied the information into the book.

So there are two opportunities for an error - first, when the head of household fills in the form, especially if (s)he was unable to write and had to rely on help from the enumerator or someone else, and second when the enumerator copied the information from the form to the book. He might have had difficulty reading the form, or he might have made an incorrect assumption, or he might simply have misread something, or he might have missed out some of what was on the form. I've seen examples that could have been any of these.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.