Author Topic: William Middlemiss  (Read 987 times)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Middlemiss
« on: Monday 18 June 18 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hello all, I know I have posted this person before, but trying to find his baptism and burial on FreeBDM the year is too late. He married a Phyllis Murton 31/3/1781 St. Michael Alnwick she passed away 3/2/1824 aged 80 Bow Alley Alnwick St. Michael. William's baptism possibility around 1760 Tughill Hall. The old BDM Web page showed a lot of the earlier records and were great searching. :'(

Regards,
Janet :-[

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Middlemiss
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 June 18 09:13 BST (UK) »
Free Reg has the following :-

Baptism :- 17 April 1736 William Middlemarsh. Son of Andrew (of Crookletch).  St Aiden, Bamburgh.

Burial:-  .22 May 1823 William Middlemas age 80 (of Greenbatt).  St Michael, Alnwick

Do either of those match?

There is a baptism of William Midlemas,  11 Jan 1756,  St John the Baptist, Edlingham . Son of William of Bolton, which is closer to 1760 that you suspect.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 June 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
Morning Brentor boy thanks for your help, the last entry is much closer to the marriage unless he was over 50 when he married Phyllis. :-\ The burial entry shows that he was baptised in 1743, finding records gets harder as you move backwards. I wish the old Free Reg was still available how did you find it??. :-[

Regards,
Janet :-[

Offline twolands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 August 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,
I've just come across your post. I believe William is my 5 x great grandfather and possibly born around 1737. At Durham Records Online you can do a free basic search and you should find that William was married twice prior to his marriage to Phillis. I have included my notes below;

Widower and Husbandman (farmer) when married to Phillis Murton in 1781. Marriage Bond 11/3/1781, also signed by Francis Collingwood (glazier) of Ford, Northumberland.

Married twice previously in 1770 and 1775. Address on each occasion was either Tuggal or Tughill Hall, Bamburgh, Northumberland in the Durham Diocese.
William's age is given as 30 in 1770, 38 in 1775 and 21 years and upwards in 1781.

First two marriages;
7/6/1770 - Ann Smailes of Swinhoe, Barmbrough.
Marriage bond 20/5/1770, also signed by George Smailes of Berwick upon Tweed, Durham. William is a batchelor aged 30. The marriage took place at the groom's parish church.
(William's surname spelt Middlemas on Find My Past)

6/6/1775 - Margaret Blackbrough/Blackburg, age 28, spinster, at St. Maurice's church, Ellingham
Bride's parish - parish of Ellingham, South Charlton, Northumberland.
Groom's parish - Tuggal
Marriage bond 30/4/1775 co-signed by William Murdie of Chillingham, Northumberland. William Middlemass is a widower.

Possibly buried on 16/8/1796 at St. Ebba Beadnell (Beadnell parish register) but I can't confirm this.

I hope this helps with your research. The above dates make the 1736 baptism mentioned by Brentor boy a real possibility, as does the Crookletch location. However the only son I have found for William so far is another William, when we might have assumed he would be named after William's own father following the naming convention of the time. I haven't come across Andrew as a family name.
Best wishes, Donna.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 August 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
Good Morning twolands, thanks so much for this information, I have had a break from this family for awhile and move on to another ancestor. :-[ A lot of entries don't always show if they are a widow or widower and this makes you feel lost in searching. Thanks again I hope you have a good weekend. :-[

Janet :)

Offline twolands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 August 18 07:05 BST (UK) »
You're welcome Janet, you too.