Author Topic: Marriage St Mary's Portsea 1791  (Read 1893 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Marriage St Mary's Portsea 1791
« on: Monday 18 June 18 08:31 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the parish records which would have the marriage between John DYER and Lydia SHEPHERD, 6 May 1791.

I have plenty of information about the SHEPHERD family and the couple themselves after their marriage.  What I am trying to find is any information about the origins of John DYER.  His residence at the time of marriage is given on one document as East Greenwich and another as Camberwell.  I wonder if there is any other clue on the register. The couple's first children were baptised at Greenwich and John himself worked for The Admiralty.

Cheers, Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage St Mary's Portsea 1791
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 June 18 08:54 BST (UK) »
I'll happily have a look in the Portsmouth History Centre for you but I'm away for a week and won't make it until next Monday.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 June 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
The marriage is transcribed on the Hampshire OPC site Kinghtroots and states that John Dyer is from the Parish of East Greenwich eg that is where he was living at the time of the marriage.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 June 18 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, antiquesam. That would be much appreciated.  I thought I'd looked before but can't remember finding anything, however it may be worth another look.  I have seen the marriage allegation.

Thanks also emeltom.  That's where I found one of the records of his place of residence.  Just wondered if there may be some mention of witnesses on the actual register, but I think witnesses are not mentioned that early

Would banns have been read that long ago?  Just thought that I should also check in the records for his parish, but i doubt there'll be anything.  John DYER's origins are very elusive; he was born in Somerset about 1767 but that's all I have, and, as I said, he seems to have been in London/Greenwich at the time of his marriage and just after.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 June 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
John DYER of the parish of East Greenwich in the County of Kent bachelor & Lydia SHEPHARD of this parish spinster married in this church by licence from Dr Commons 6 May 1791 both signed in the presence of Jno SHEPHARD & Robert SHEPHARD

That's the entry from the Hampshire OPC site, as you can see the witnesses were obviously from Lucy's family.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 June 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks, again Emeltom.  Yes that's the information i had (if only my brain worked well!!)

I wonder if there are records of licences from Doctors Commons.

Need to explore further.

Thanks, again

Judith

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 June 18 10:23 BST (UK) »
Where did you get the information that he was born c1767 in Somerset? Do you have a death for him, and if so, what details do you have?

Emeltom

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 June 18 11:19 BST (UK) »
It might be worth loking at this previous thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=290250.0
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 June 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
I've viewed the microfiche record for the marriage and the only additional information is that they were married under licence from the District Sessions and it was conducted on the 16th of May, not the 6th as indicated.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,