Author Topic: Info needed on Anglo-Afghan War 1881/82 please  (Read 728 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Info needed on Anglo-Afghan War 1881/82 please
« on: Monday 18 June 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
I am helping my Sil with her Family research after the discovery of several letters sent to her ancestor from his Parents, they cover the dates of 1881/82. I would appreciate any help on the records of:

No. 2218 Private Robert Macdonald, G Comp. 7th Royal Fusiliers

Robert Young Macdonald was born in 1854 in Glasgow.

Thanks for your time.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Info needed on Anglo-Afghan War 1881/82 please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 June 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
His number was actually 2218, he appears in the Second Afghan War medal roll with the clasp for the Kandahar campaign - Wiki here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kandahar

He was in 2nd Battalion 7th (Royal Fusiliers) who I believ had been in India since 1873 and returned in 1889.

Can't find an on-line service record for him (not unusual).  The muster books (pay rolls) would have him in the years he served with them but that can only be establshed at Kew.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 June 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Max for your helpful response, that is really useful information. I have amended his service  number too  :D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 June 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
Bit more about Kandahar here:
https://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyunits/britishinfantry/fusiliers.htm  scroll down to relevant date.

Much of what is on line concerns the relief of Kandahar, 2nd Royal Fusiliers were among those besieged for a time before the relief column arrived.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 June 18 15:38 BST (UK) »
That is so interesting to read...fancy having to trek 45 miles through the desert :o no wonder they were in a "Pitiful" state  :-\
The more I learn on here...the more I realise how little I know.
Thanks again for taking the time to find the information, it's very much appreciated  ;)
Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 June 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
I am helping my Sil with her Family research after the discovery of several letters sent to her ancestor from his Parents, they cover the dates of 1877/82. I would appreciate any help on the records of:

No. 2218 Private Robert Macdonald, G Comp. 7th Royal Fusiliers

Robert Young Macdonald was born in 1854 in Glasgow.

Thanks for your time.

Carol

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 July 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
Carol - you might find this letter of interest from someone who was besieged in Kandahar along with the 7th Fusiliers.

http://www.garenewing.co.uk/angloafghanwar/narratives/pinhey.php

The 7th were heavily involved in the mismanaged attack on Deh Khoja during the siege.

Best - Garen
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 July 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Garen...That is so interesting and informative...thank you so much for taking the time to post this.

Carol