Author Topic: can anyone identify this uniform  (Read 835 times)

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
can anyone identify this uniform
« on: Monday 18 June 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
I'm helping a friend research her Osborne family from Belfast, she has come across a photo of a little girl with this soilder in the top left hand corner. she has no idea who he is or anything else about the photo apart from thinking the child is Minnie Osborne who died in 1918 .. I was thinking the soldier must be related why else would he be in the photo. Anyone any ideas?

Colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: can anyone identify this uniform
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 June 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Unfortunately the quality of the pboto is very poor. The only thing I can say with any certainty is that he is in a scottish regt. We know this from his headwear.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 00:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying John,
that's a starting point for us now. I may look into Scottish regiments see if I can find out if there were any Osbornes from Belfast there anywhere. I'm not to knowledgeable on the Military ins and outs though lol.

Colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline T1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 August 18 12:37 BST (UK) »
The pattern of the chequered border on his cap suggests the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.  Other regiments had dark green in place of the white squares in the middle of the three "rows".

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 August 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
The pattern of the chequered border on his cap suggests the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.  Other regiments had dark green in place of the white squares in the middle of the three "rows".

Thank you T1, as I wasn't any further on in this search I'll check out this avenue

Colette