Author Topic: Rose Burley - help with dating & pose  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rose Burley - help with dating & pose
« on: Monday 18 June 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
I am told this is a portrait of my great aunt Rose - can anyone help me with dating the image & I'm wondering if her downward gaze is giving a message?

Keith

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Burley - help with dating & pose
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 June 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith, Here is my interpretation, I think she looks very wistful and as she is holding a red rose she is thinking about her boyfriend, perhaps he has gone to war. I don't think she is engaged as she would be showing her ring finger.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 June 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
This is from the Edwardian era and I would agree that she is thinking of someone special to her. What beautiful photo. I am so envious of your collection Keith, I want to be in your family tree  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 June 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith, Here is my interpretation, I think she looks very wistful and as she is holding a red rose she is thinking about her boyfriend, perhaps he has gone to war. I don't think she is engaged as she would be showing her ring finger.
Pat

The old romantic in me likes your interpretation of this photo - I was thinking along the same lines. Thank you so much for giving her colour - that is an unexpected bonus - you are kind Pat.
Keith

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 June 18 23:17 BST (UK) »
This is from the Edwardian era and I would agree that she is thinking of someone special to her. What beautiful photo. I am so envious of your collection Keith, I want to be in your family tree  ;D
Carol

Thanks Carol - so could this be a photo for a soldier to take to war? I do realise am lucky to have so many great photos & even luckier to have had many restored/coloured by the talented people on RC  :D
Keith

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 June 18 23:45 BST (UK) »
She is beautiful.
A wonderful photograph.
I would place it between 1905 and 1910.

The rose theme may, of course, have nothing to do with matters of the heart, but simply relate to her name . Rose.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 09:51 BST (UK) »
I know you didn't request a clean up Keith but I couldn't resist a light clean ...the beauty is in it's simplicity.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
One a bit lighter.
Carol

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
I know you didn't request a clean up Keith but I couldn't resist a light clean ...the beauty is in it's simplicity.
Carol

It is a lovely photo & thank you for making it even more beautiful Carol. I didn't ask for a restore or any colour as I thought it couldn't really be improved but you & Pat have proved me wrong. I have just found another image of her looking up - first time I have come across two different images from the same sitting.
Thanks again for these.
Keith