Author Topic: Finding my roots in South America  (Read 1259 times)

Offline vomitless

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Finding my roots in South America
« on: Monday 18 June 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I've been searching my roots since I've got a very special surname in my country, Colombia.
After a research, I found out that every Mayeston in Colombia is directly from my family, and there's nobody else out there with my last name.
I found my grandparents, my great parents and my great parents dad, who's name was Electo Mayeston. He's the las record that my city had about the Mayeston's. He married Natividad and had two kids, one of them died at the age of 19 and the other one survived, being my great parent. But after Electo, there's nothing else in the local records, only stories from my family saying he was a sea captain who used to visit Cartagena, Bolivar, Colombia, and (apparently) he met his wife there, but there's no proof of it, than a paper of baptism in 1895 with his name and his wife about one of the two kids I told you.

I want to find where was Electo Mayeston from, where are my real roots if he wasn't Colombian. I've doing researchs in different webpages who showed me only five Mayestons.

The first one I saw was F. Mayeston, who was an inmigrant from Germany, born on 1839 and emigrated in 1864 in a ship called "Wisconsin" to New York, USA. (Attached picture)

Then I found Wm. E. Mayeston, apparently from Bridgeport, Fairfield, Connecticut with Lilian Mayeston. They had a kid who's name isn't registered, it just appears as Mayeston, born on 1868 in Bridgeport, Fairfield, Connecticut. Electo's first kid was at 1895's so the idea of him being Electo isn't crazy since he could be 27 when he went to Cartagena, Colombia. Married Natividad, and had a son, my grandparent. I can't validate that since it does not show anything about Wm. and Lilian's kid but Mayeston but it's a theory.

I also found a couple of farmers in Norfolk, England. Hannah and Rich.. (Richard) Mayeston. who had a child called Eliza Mayeston, (supposedly born on 1825). (Attached picture)
While looking, I found a Rosa Mary Mayeston, buried in 1873. (Another Mayeston).

I've been looking for Eliza Mayeston, instead of it I find a lot of Eliza Mayston, (maybe the name got a horrible misspell history?), finding out that Mayston is one of the most common surnames in england.

Also I keep digging and I find another Eliza, Eliza Maston. Born on 1743 who's dad name was "W'M. Maston". (familiar, W.M Mayeston from Connectitut!).

I have no ways to relacionate it all and it messes up my head since I can't find where is it all related or if there's anything else I could search, or where was Electo, the sea captain from or why did he come here. I want to find my real roots.

(Could'nt attach the images for some reason, sorry!

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding my roots
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 June 18 23:52 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Anderson.

Do you have an approximate birth year for Electo?

'Electo' is not an English name.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 June 18 23:56 BST (UK) »
¡Hola, Anderson, y bienvenido!  Voy a ver lo que puedo encontrar en Connecticut después de comer.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Anderson.

I think you are right about the surname - it could have changed over the years. People weren't so worried about spellings in the past, and many people were illiterate, so names would have been written as they sounded. It is just confusing if you do google searches of your surname because it does not mean that anyone with the same surname is related to you.

The best way for you to reliably trace your ancestors is to purchase certificates to back up your theories, starting from yourself, and working back, generation by generation.

I am not familiar with research in South America so can't help you with specific records.

If you are certain that Electo is your great great grandfather, then a next step would be to find his marriage (either a church records or an official record) in case it contains further information. You said he married Natividad - is that a person's name or a place name?

I think you should forget about the Connecticut Mayestons and the Norfolk Mayestons for now.

Was Electo's occupation "sea captain" on his children's baptisms? If you haven't already done so, I think you should obtain all of his children's birth certificates and baptismal certificates. Some may contain different information.

Hopefully someone with knowledge of South American records will be along soon to help you.

Added: I see Erato is here to help you.  :)

Offline vomitless

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 00:26 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Anderson.

Do you have an approximate birth year for Electo?

'Electo' is not an English name.
No I don't, my grandpa barely remembers his stories. In my theory, if he's the "Mayeston" born around 1868 son of WM. Mayeston and Lilian Mayeston, he would have around 27 years when he got my greatparent, so it might have sense.

Also, Electo is not an English name since I've met people from Spain with it, so if my theory about Liliand and WM Mayeston is right, he could get that name from Lilian, who's name is pretty much well used in spanish and in english and she might have latin or spain roots. If only there was her original name and not the married one.

Welcome to rootschat Anderson.

I think you are right about the surname - it could have changed over the years. People weren't so worried about spellings in the past, and many people were illiterate, so names would have been written as they sounded. It is just confusing if you do google searches of your surname because it does not mean that anyone with the same surname is related to you.

The best way for you to reliably trace your ancestors is to purchase certificates to back up your theories, starting from yourself, and working back, generation by generation.

I am not familiar with research in South America so can't help you with specific records.

If you are certain that Electo is your great great grandfather, then a next step would be to find his marriage (either a church records or an official record) in case it contains further information. You said he married Natividad - is that a person's name or a place name?

I think you should forget about the Connecticut Mayestons and the Norfolk Mayestons for now.

Was Electo's occupation "sea captain" on his children's baptisms? If you haven't already done so, I think you should obtain all of his children's birth certificates and baptismal certificates. Some may contain different information.

Hopefully someone with knowledge of South American records will be along soon to help you.

Added: I see Erato is here to help you.  :)

1. Yes, that's one of my ideas. the surname could've changed over the years since mine, Mayeston, is kind of the english pronunciation of "Maston", or "Mayston" in spanish speaking people.

2. About Electo I only found the baptism of Ana Elisa in 1894, his first kid who died 19 years after and the baptism of Miguel Angel, he would be my grandpa's dad. He also remembers he had an uncle called Mario Mayeston but there's no records of it apparently. But nothing else about Electo's place of birth or occupation.

3. Yeah, The connectitut Mayestons and the Norfolk ones are hard to connect, but I decided to bring them up since their surnames were correctly spelled like mine.

4. As the stories of him says. I haven't visited the place who got the records but i'm planning to go asap.

5. Natividad is a name, Natividad Jimenez, Electo's wife.

Thank you!!

¡Hola, Anderson, y bienvenido!  Voy a ver lo que puedo encontrar en Connecticut después de comer.

Te lo agradezco!!! Ya estoy que pienso una visita a los estados unidos del dolor de cabeza que me da.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 01:04 BST (UK) »
If there is connection to the United States, Bridgeport wouldn't be a bad bet.  It was a major colonial seaport and a center of trade with the West Indies.

So far all I see are the same records you have already found yourself.  I'll keep looking.  Meanwhile, here is a link to the Bridgeport Public Library History Center.  You might be able to contact someone there who would be willing to do a little research on William and Lilian Mayeston for you.

http://bportlibrary.org/hc/

As for the name 'Electo,' I have never encountered it BUT one of my great grandmother's sisters [born in 1846] was named Electa and the family was 100% American English speakers.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 07:03 BST (UK) »
William Mayeston and Lilian seem to have left no footprints beyond the birth of their unnamed son.  At least, I have not been able to find any record of them.  I have looked at everyone in the 1870 census who was born in Connecticut in 1868 whose surname began with 'M;' every Lilian in Connecticut whose surname began with 'M;' every William in Connecticut with a wife named Lilian; and numerous variants of the Mayeston surname.  So far, no luck.  I'll think about it some more and get back to it tomorrow.

Maybe someone else will have better luck.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 07:14 BST (UK) »
on IGI - Connecticut Births and Christenings

Name    Mayeston     
 Gender     Male   
 Birth Date     12 Sep 1868   
 Birthplace     Bridgeport, Fairfield, Connecticut   
 Father's Name     Wm. E. Mayeston   
 Mother's Name    Lillian Mayeston   

so we know he was born 12 sep 1868 ...some progress  and William is William E - did we know that ?
added - there is an EDWIN Mayestone in Handsworth ,Staffordshire on that Geneanet site - I wonder if William E might be William Edwin ?
you can join geneanet.org for free and many records are free to view - unfortunately the Mayeston ones are not - but not much of a charge to view - first record I would look at would be Edwin Mayeston ...
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford