Author Topic: Caroline Philadelphia Elizabeth PARTER ( also have seen PARLER, PEARCY )  (Read 4050 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Philadelphia Elizabeth PARTER ( also have seen PARLER, PEARCY )
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 21 June 18 02:36 BST (UK) »
 :)  fingers crossed that when she was admitted to the hospital that the clerk handling the paperwork asked Caroline all sorts of family history questions, and wrote down the answers, and used that info for the dc.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline alison2763

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gr. Grandfather Harry KEETLEY K.I.A. 1917 France
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 21 June 18 02:37 BST (UK) »
Bahaha. That would be a first Jim  ;D
Blundell- Sussex - Newcastle
Kiefel- Prussia- South Australia
Fiegert-Prussia- South Australia
Retford/Deptford-Hampshire- NSW
Keetley-Hathern Leicestershire-New Zealand
Other names: Collis, Williams,Courage, Andrew, Ransom, Gore.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline alison2763

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 12 July 18 00:01 BST (UK) »
I have received the DC Transcription. Not much info as expected :(
Name: Caroline Price
DOD: 31 August 1865
Place: Sydney Infirmary
Occ: Pauper
Sex: Female
Conjugal Status: -
Place of Birth: England
Time in Aust Colonies: 20Years
Father: Unknown
Mother: Unknown
 Place of Marriage:-
Age at Marriage: -
Name of Spouse: -
Children of Marriage:-
Informant: K Houston, Resident Surgeon of Infirmary
Cause of Death: Erysipelas
Length of Illness:-
Medical Attendant: Dr Foucart
Date last seen: 30 Aug
Date of Burial: 2 Sep 1865
Place of Burial: Camperdown Cemetery
Minister& Religion: ( "Kemp" is written in pencil)
Undertaker: J Curtis
Witnesses: Thos McCarthy, W Baldick

So not much we didn't already know  :(

Offline JohnJohnson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 March 19 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I’ve joined here to post this. I think I can help you with John Henry Price, but first a bit of background.

My 3xGreat Grandfather John Johnson, a seaman, married Frances (Fanny) McCarthy in June 1839 at Broulee, near the Moruya River: NSW BDM V1839628 75 (as Johnston and Mc Carthie)

In November 1839 their only child, John William Johnson, was born, “the first white child on the Moruya River” according to family legend: NSW BDM V1839139 24A

Frances’ mother, also called Frances (sometimes Francis or Fanny) McCarthy (but also known as Frances Donohoe) had arrived as a convict aboard the “Mariner” in 1825 from Dublin. Her husband, Owen McCarthy (also known as Owen Carthy or Owen McCarty) had arrived on the "Medina" in 1823. Owen died in 1828 (I think, can’t find this at the moment). In 1838 Frances McCarthy (Snr) married William Woods in Sydney: NSW BDM V18381549 22 Both were widowed and neither could write.

William Woods (John Johnson’s step-father-in-law) owned a Tasmanian-built cutter of 19 tons, the “Industry”, which plied between Sydney and Broulee between 1840 and 1845, when it was wrecked. William Woods was master of the “Industry”, but in 1842 and 1843 John Johnson is listed as the master of this coastal trading boat. In 1843 to 1845 he is listed as the master of the 22-ton cutter “Emma”.

So, what’s all this got to do with Caroline Philadelphia Elizabeth Pearcy/Parler/Price?

Family legend has it that John Johnson changed his name from Price to Johnson. Family legend also has it that his mother maintained that she was a gentlewoman who had been transported by mistake as she’d picked up an umbrella by accident. She apparently sometimes called herself Caroline Percy and maintained she was a relative of the noble Percy family.

I hadn’t taken much notice of these stories until I stumbled across a reference to a memorial (petition) made by Frances Johnson in 1850. I obtained a copy of the memorial, where Frances Johnson was appealing to have her husband let out of gaol. John had been convicted of a vicious assault and sentenced to a year in Darlinghurst Gaol, details here: 

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/251536800
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/12915598

I looked up the gaol admission records, which gave me the name of the ship and date: “Sarah and Elizabeth”, 1837. I found out it was a female convict transport, so presumed that John had come out on it with his mother. No Johnsons were listed, but when I saw “Caroline Philadelphia Elizabeth Pearcy, also known as Elizabeth Price” I was pretty sure I’d found the correct person. The “Sarah and Elizabeth” had 96 female convicts and 10 children on board. Some of the children are noted on the printed indent as “on board”, but neither of Caroline’s children are noted this way. Nonetheless, I’m confident that John Henry was on board the “Sarah and Elizabeth”.

So, I believe that in 1837 John Henry Price came out with his mother on the “Sarah and Elizabeth” and by 1839 had changed his name to John Johnson. He and Frances Johnson only had the one child, John William Johnson. John William Johnson married Emily Eyles at Tabulam in 1861: NSW BDM 2800/1861 and they went on to have 14 children.

I have been unable to trace a death record for John Johnson. Frances Johnson’s appeal failed and after his release from gaol I have found no further information on him. Frances Johnson remarried in 1871 to William Clark: NSW BDM 1142/1871 She is listed as a widow, but there are no details of John’s death. Over 50 John Johnsons died between 1851 and 1871 in NSW. While I’ve ruled out a fair number of them, I haven’t (yet) found the right one.

Remarkable to think the two brothers both ended up in Sydney. I wonder whether they had much contact? I’m delighted to have sorted this out, I had just about given up on working out about John’s brother.

Re Caroline, in the 1850 memorial William Dumaresq of Tivoli writes that John Johnson’s mother (name not given) “has been in my service several years”. That’s all I can find to add to her story.

Offline alison2763

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 18 March 19 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,
Thank you for the message which I got about 5 minutes before my modem died. It has been killing me waiting to get back to you.
I will go over everything you have given me and get back to you ASAP.
Thank you again  :D
Regards
Alison

Offline katienugent

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 09 September 21 15:27 BST (UK) »

Family legend has it that John Johnson changed his name from Price to Johnson. Family legend also has it that his mother maintained that she was a gentlewoman who had been transported by mistake as she’d picked up an umbrella by accident. She apparently sometimes called herself Caroline Percy and maintained she was a relative of the noble Percy family.

I have just stumbled on this thread as I am doing some research on my family tree. Josephine Percy Johnson is my 2nd great grandmother. There are stories amongst the family of us being related to the noble Percy family as well! Although our family has a different version of why the Percys changed their name to Johnson. So interesting to hear we aren't the only ones to have heard that.