Author Topic: Patrick Rowan  (Read 3022 times)

Offline buckyb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Rowan
« on: Tuesday 19 June 18 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have been trying to find, without much luck, details of the parents of Hannah Rowan. Hannah came to Australia as a Bounty Immigrant  on the "Carthaginian" in 1842 at the age of 18. She was Roman Catholic and claimed her native place was Newry, Armagh.

She also stated her father was Patrick Rowan and that he was still alive when she arrived in Australia in January 1842. Her mother's name was not stated.

I haven't been able to find any details of Patrick or his wife and thought someone from Ireland maybe able to help or at least provide some clues. It is also possible the name may be a derivative of Rowan eg Roan.

Any thoughts or ideas would be most appreciated.

buckyb  ???
Barron,Crosby,Dunn,Gallagher, Larkin, McApion, Owers, Perry,Swinburn,Tanko,Whitford

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Rowan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 07:51 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
family search

http://www.familysearch.org

says she is under: Hannah Rowes - domestic Servant aged 18 father Patrick Rowan still alive, newry, armagh
ship Carthaginian

brought in by Miss Aspinall of Brown and Co.

Offline buckyb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 23:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks hallmark and rathmore

I will see what I can find from those sites. I have previously searched the familysearch site without much luck, though I don't think I have looked under the Rowes name.

buckyb
Barron,Crosby,Dunn,Gallagher, Larkin, McApion, Owers, Perry,Swinburn,Tanko,Whitford

Offline buckyb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 June 18 06:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks again hallmark for pointing me to the NLI site. A great site for present and future reference.

I think I found the baptism entry for Hannah. There is an entry on 22 Nov 1820 for the baptism of a child of Pat and Bolly(?) Rowan, no christian name given.

The date of birth is inconsistent with her immigration record but gels with the date of birth stated on her daughter Mary Jane Thompson's birth certificate. Perhaps she put down her age for bounty reasons.

I think her mother's name is shown on the entry as Bolly however it could be Betty, were either of these two names in vogue in Northern Ireland in the 1800s ?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 June 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
If you mean this one (bottom of left page) ...

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633284#page/10/mode/1up

... then the christian name is indeed given, it's just that damage (a crease?) on the page has obliterated the ending of the name, however the first 2 letters look clear enough, 'Ja', so perhaps Jane or James?  And yes, the mother is Betty (Elizabeth), not uncommon (look further up the page).

Offline buckyb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 June 18 08:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gaffy

I think you are right it looks like the first two letters are Ja, the first letter certainly doesn't look like an H.

It would seem that this entry could perhaps relate to a sibling of Hannah, I couldn't find any other Rowan entries for Pat and Betty. This could mean that Hannah was not baptised or she was born in a different county and later moved to Newry.

Back to the drawing boards and some more searching.

Offline buckyb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 July 18 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi All
This is probable a long shot on my part, however
1. I have over a dozen dna matches to the Ross family of Balbair , Scotland. One branch of that line
    is James P Ross (1715-1788) who was born in Antrim, Ireland. He died in Rowan County, North
    Carolina.
2. Rowan County was named after the first mayor, Mathew Rowan (1703-1760) who was born in
    Rathfryland, Down, Ireland. A town very close to Newry.

I am wondering if there was any connection between the Ross family and the Rowan family in North Carolina or in Antrim Ireland around the mid 1700s. This could connect Hannah Rowan and Mathew Rowan and account for my apparent dna matches to the Ross family.

Any comments, observations or suggestions, whether good or bad would be most appreciated.

buckyb

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 July 18 07:56 BST (UK) »
Could it be Joannah? A variant of Hannah?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.