Author Topic: Canada British Regimental Registers of Service , 92nd Foot  (Read 340 times)

Offline essjay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canada British Regimental Registers of Service , 92nd Foot
« on: Tuesday 19 June 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Just wondering if someone can shed some light on an entry for an ancestor in these registers.
He was from Aberdeen, date of attestation was 2 May 1821, Albany Barracks. Period of service "L". Date discharged was 12 June 1821, Albany Barracks "having paid 20 pounds".
What were the circumstances of recruitment? And payment for discharge with this regiment?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Canada British Regimental Registers of Service , 92nd Foot
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

The L on his attestation form may well mean life which is one of the periods that a man could sign up for at that time, otherwise it would be a period of years.  As he signed up on 2 May 1821 he clearly wanted out almost straight way for which he had to pay £20 any time in the first 7 years. 

He volunteered to join but whether he was drunk at the time and didn't know what he was doing - who knows!

If his record is on line , perhaps you'd like to give his name, it is often better to see the original to be sure of what it is we are interpreting.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline essjay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for the quick reply.
I found the entry on Ancestry.com. His name is John Allardyce, birth date about 1797, Aberdeen

Sue

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
Not quite right in this case.  L stood for Limited as opposed to Unlimited which meant he signed for a particular term of service, typically seven years with the colours and five on reserve as opposed to a full 21 year career all at once.  Effect though is the same, he needed to buy his way out as he was leaving before his committed term.

MaxD

PS  In case you were wondering, the word Canada in the Ancestry title is misleading.  The registers include some regiments that did serve in Canada, Ancestry has seen fit to put the word in the title of the whole set of records!
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline essjay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
Yes, I did wonder about the "Canada" bit.
I would have thought that 20 pound was a huge amount of money in 1821, I guess he really did regret signing up!

Sue