Author Topic: Gedcom files  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gedcom files
« on: Tuesday 19 June 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
Help/advice please.   

Within 'documents' on my PC I have a folder containing Gedcom files. Usually folders have a symbol at the start of the folders name [extreme left] eg; 'W' for a word document.
Though normally the Gedcom is blank I have inadvertently put the 'Acrobat Reader' symbol against each one.  Question - does it matter?

I have copies on a memory stick and wonder, would I still be able to input the data to a Family History programme in a worst case scenario?

Jolyon

Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.
Watson, Knutsford, Cheshire.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gedcom files
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
If you right click and go to 'open with' and then select FH (or whatever) and select always open files like this with FH, it should work.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
A Folder is only a Folder  it's the Files inside that count!!

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 14:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you hallmark & Gadget for your replies.

Gadget:  Right click as suggested shows top of the box 'open with Adobe',  then is 'Open' and 'Open with', giving;    'keep using this app' or, 'other options'.
Look for app in the store: - more apps = Int Explorer, MS office picture manager, MS office word, Notepad, Paint, MS media player and Word pad.   But no FH.      A bit beyond me I'm afraid.
Messing with the options is, I think, what gave this adobe quandary.

hallmark:  Your suggestion is what I thought, but I'm not sure.

Jolyon

Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.
Watson, Knutsford, Cheshire.

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 15:23 BST (UK) »

hallmark:  Your suggestion is what I thought, but I'm not sure.

Jolyon

Open the folder and see what files are inside!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
"Within 'documents' on my PC I have a folder containing Gedcom files. Usually folders have a symbol at the start of the folders name [extreme left] eg; 'W' for a word document.
Though normally the Gedcom is blank I have inadvertently put the 'Acrobat Reader' symbol against each one.  Question - does it matter?

I have copies on a memory stick and wonder, would I still be able to input the data to a Family History programme in a worst case scenario?"

If you're using an FTM programme, I would suggest you delete all which are 'open with acrobat reader' & save them again (as they are) which would be either FTM or FTW or both with no need to add anything else as they will open as a gedcom automatically?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
In the past, I've also opened my Family Tree program (Family Historian in my case) and then Open ~ new and then selected the gedcom file that I'm interested in.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
"Within 'documents' on my PC I have a folder containing Gedcom files. Usually folders have a symbol at the start of the folders name [extreme left] eg; 'W' for a word document.

I have copies on a memory stick and wonder, would I still be able to input the data to a Family History programme in a worst case scenario?"

If you're using an FTM programme, I would suggest you delete all which are 'open with acrobat reader' & save them again (as they are) which would be either FTM or FTW or both with no need to add anything else as they will open as a gedcom automatically?

Annie

So you've put it on each file??

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST (Speciality - South Uist, Inverness)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
"I have copies on a memory stick and wonder, would I still be able to input the data to a Family History programme in a worst case scenario?"

I'm unsure if the ones on your memory stick are 'open with acrobat reader' but if so, I don't see those could be uploaded as a gedcom file?

Maybe try it by opening a new file on whichever site you want to upload to, to see what happens?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie, MacDonald, MacInnes, MacIntyre, MacKinnon, Steele, Walker

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, MacKinnon, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"