Author Topic: Gedcom files  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gedcom files
« on: Tuesday 19 June 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
Help/advice please.   

Within 'documents' on my PC I have a folder containing Gedcom files. Usually folders have a symbol at the start of the folders name [extreme left] eg; 'W' for a word document.
Though normally the Gedcom is blank I have inadvertently put the 'Acrobat Reader' symbol against each one.  Question - does it matter?

I have copies on a memory stick and wonder, would I still be able to input the data to a Family History programme in a worst case scenario?

Jolyon

Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.
Watson, Knutsford, Cheshire.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gedcom files
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
If you right click and go to 'open with' and then select FH (or whatever) and select always open files like this with FH, it should work.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
A Folder is only a Folder  it's the Files inside that count!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 14:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you hallmark & Gadget for your replies.

Gadget:  Right click as suggested shows top of the box 'open with Adobe',  then is 'Open' and 'Open with', giving;    'keep using this app' or, 'other options'.
Look for app in the store: - more apps = Int Explorer, MS office picture manager, MS office word, Notepad, Paint, MS media player and Word pad.   But no FH.      A bit beyond me I'm afraid.
Messing with the options is, I think, what gave this adobe quandary.

hallmark:  Your suggestion is what I thought, but I'm not sure.

Jolyon

Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.
Watson, Knutsford, Cheshire.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 15:23 BST (UK) »

hallmark:  Your suggestion is what I thought, but I'm not sure.

Jolyon

Open the folder and see what files are inside!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
"Within 'documents' on my PC I have a folder containing Gedcom files. Usually folders have a symbol at the start of the folders name [extreme left] eg; 'W' for a word document.
Though normally the Gedcom is blank I have inadvertently put the 'Acrobat Reader' symbol against each one.  Question - does it matter?

I have copies on a memory stick and wonder, would I still be able to input the data to a Family History programme in a worst case scenario?"

If you're using an FTM programme, I would suggest you delete all which are 'open with acrobat reader' & save them again (as they are) which would be either FTM or FTW or both with no need to add anything else as they will open as a gedcom automatically?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
In the past, I've also opened my Family Tree program (Family Historian in my case) and then Open ~ new and then selected the gedcom file that I'm interested in.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
"Within 'documents' on my PC I have a folder containing Gedcom files. Usually folders have a symbol at the start of the folders name [extreme left] eg; 'W' for a word document.

I have copies on a memory stick and wonder, would I still be able to input the data to a Family History programme in a worst case scenario?"

If you're using an FTM programme, I would suggest you delete all which are 'open with acrobat reader' & save them again (as they are) which would be either FTM or FTW or both with no need to add anything else as they will open as a gedcom automatically?

Annie

So you've put it on each file??

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
"I have copies on a memory stick and wonder, would I still be able to input the data to a Family History programme in a worst case scenario?"

I'm unsure if the ones on your memory stick are 'open with acrobat reader' but if so, I don't see those could be uploaded as a gedcom file?

Maybe try it by opening a new file on whichever site you want to upload to, to see what happens?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"