Author Topic: Gedcom files  (Read 4082 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gedcom files
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 08:10 BST (UK) »
I am on Windows 7, and I have no idea what operating system you are using.

But what I can do is:
Open the folder in Windows Explorer.
Click (once) on a Gedcom file.

Select the drop-down box next to "Open", on the menu bar. (IE click on the down arrow)
Select Choose default program - my choice is Notepad.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
On Windows 10,
  • Browse to ANY of the GEDCOM files
  • Right click on it
  • Select "Open With"
  • Right click on it
  • In "How do you want to open this file?" select "More Apps"
  • In the list which comes up, select "Notepad".
  • Tick the box for "Always use this app to open"
  • Click OK

I find that Notepad is quite useful for searching through my data, as I regularly export a GEDCOM. When I vaguely remember that I had come across some associated information in the past (a street name, an occupation, part of a name, a regimental number) it can be quickly found by opening the GEDCOM in Notepad and pressing Control-F. Once I've found the relevant area, head upwards to the NAME record and I can then find them in my FH software.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
For the record I am using Windows 10 but don't think that is significant.

Perhaps worth repeating here that all my Gedcom files are now designated, type: - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, and wonder if that designation would now prevent the file being imported into a Family Tree program, if I needed to do so. Trouble is I don't know how to change the designation, or if in fact it matters.   

Jolyon                                           
Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.
Watson, Knutsford, Cheshire.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Several people have suggested that you try and re select the default program for opening your gedcom files. What response have you had after doing this? That is exactly what I would have suggested.

Martin

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
Martin,

Thank you for your input, though I'm not sure I understand your comment/question.
If I understand correctly any FH program will open & display an 'imported' Gedcom file, as long as the file has .ged on the end.  The default 'program' is the one from which the Gedcom file is created and exported.
 Or am I missing something? 

Jolyon
Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 11:18 BST (UK) »
Jolyon,

Go to your programs folder and scroll down until you find your Family Tree prog (accessed via Control Panel). You could click on that to open it and then open/import one of the files from within that.

Alternatively just run it as normal and open/import the file from there . I'm not sure what your problem is now  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
jOLYON, the appearance of the Adobe logo next to any ".ged" file means that you have assigned Adobe as the program that you want the PC to use to open the file.  You may have done this intentionally or not.  It would be normal to use Notepad to open a simple text file (just letters and digits), which is what a GEDCOM or ".ged" file is.

However, if you are trying to import the file into a FH program, it won't matter what you have specified as the preferred program, as, by using an FH program to import it, you are over-riding that setting.

Going back to your initial question, it doesn't MATTER what you specify as the default program for opening a GEDCOM file, but specifying your own choice will help, but ONLY if you want to open it and examine it.  Normally, there is no real reason to open one to read it yourself.  Usually you want an application to open it, interpret it, and process it.  Unless one is an expert in GEDCOM file syntax, one would not want to read it personally.

If this still isn't clear, perhaps someone else will explain it from a slightly different angle.  If ever I can't understand a concept, getting an alternative explanation usually helps.

UPDATE a moment later, as Gadget says, "I'm not sure what your problem is now  ".  I don't actually think you have one.

Martin

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
For the record I am using Windows 10 but don't think that is significant.

Perhaps worth repeating here that all my Gedcom files are now designated, type: - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, and wonder if that designation would now prevent the file being imported into a Family Tree program, if I needed to do so. Trouble is I don't know how to change the designation, or if in fact it matters.   

Jolyon                                         

I think the simple answer is that  it doesn't really matter unless you select a GEDCOM file and click 'Open'.

As long as you can open or import the GEDCOM file from within your RootsMagic or Legacy program then everything is OK and you can safely ignore the Adobe icon  :)

Mike.

P.S. Have just searched the 'net and cannot find a safe, non-technical way to simply remove a file association  :(
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Jolyon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Gadget,

Thank you.  Guess I might not have a problem after all.

Martin,

Thanks for your reply.   The key bit in your reply;
#
However, if you are trying to import the file into a FH program, it won't matter what you have specified as the preferred program, as, by using an FH program to import it, you are over-riding that setting.

That is what I wanted to hear, and which has been concerning me (mentioned by Mike 175 earlier).

I inadvertently designated my Gedcom files type Adobe [don't know how] and thought I had corrupted them, as Adobe always tried to open them but couldn't because it was not a supported file.

A bit happier now, thank you all.

Jolyon

Ward, W Australia.
Parker, Hull, Yorkshire.