Author Topic: Ancestry search up the spout?  (Read 3908 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry search up the spout?
« on: Tuesday 19 June 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
Anyone notice some very strange issues with the search, i.e. putting in parents names to try and find baptisms, it will not bring all the baptisms, restricting it to a place will not find records you can find if you put in no restrictions, even though they match the place? ??? ???

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry search up the spout?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
I was getting some strange results yesterday, in fact it's been unreliable for some time. I searched for Christian name Emma and the surname with a birth date and place as I have done before but I didn't get the results I used to, (I hadn't saved them to shoebox), not even the census!
In the past I have emailed them but they are so defensive and ask for URLs etc. and ask  "Clear the cache"  and when you tell them you have, they just say try again.
rayard.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
they are so defensive and ask for URLs etc.

May I ask how it would be possible for you to send them the 'URL' if you can't locate what you know should be there  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 15:27 BST (UK) »
Other people have been having problems   ;)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=795309.0
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
I've found, purely by accident because of my ineptness with touch screen computers, some really strange things happening yesterday with Ancestry. I currently don't have a sub for ancestry, so nearly all records should be unavailable to me, quite rightly!  I have found, for instance, that I can search family trees, search results come back (complete with the blanked out bits) and then I can click on a tree and can view it or sometimes get the membership essential screen, which I should get every time. Curiosity got the better of me and I tried, for instance military records and discovered if I hold the view button and then open in new tab from the menu, randomly it will open a the document in a new tab or I get the membership essential screen, which again I should get everytime.

Initially I just thought that they had changed what you could view without a sub, but dont think thats the case!!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 18:20 BST (UK) »
I've found, purely by accident because of my ineptness with touch screen computers, some really strange things happening yesterday with Ancestry. I currently don't have a sub for ancestry, so nearly all records should be unavailable to me, quite rightly!  I have found, for instance, that I can search family trees, search results come back (complete with the blanked out bits) and then I can click on a tree and can view it or sometimes get the membership essential screen, which I should get every time. Curiosity got the better of me and I tried, for instance military records and discovered if I hold the view button and then open in new tab from the menu, randomly it will open a the document in a new tab or I get the membership essential screen, which again I should get everytime.

Initially I just thought that they had changed what you could view without a sub, but dont think thats the case!!
Holy moly!!! What on earth is going on :o!!! Thanks for the previous thread post, yes, have discovered the same problem, in that it used to treat births and baptisms as one field, as should be the case as they are more or less equivalent, but, now, as has been said, to find all baptisms of one set of parents, you have to use the 'Any Event' field. But I think I have discovered another bug +/- years now can only be minus instead of plus - so searching for all baptisms of one first name in a parish in 1740 +/- 10 years will only deliver results from 1730-1740, not 1730-1750 as it should ??? ????

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
I did a few tests to see if the problem re: +/- dates was correct, and it definitely only returned the minus part i.e. entering 1782 +/- 2 years only returned 1780-2 instead of 1780-4. However I tried again later and it didn't do it  ::). However the birth/baptism separation is still there, and presumably won't change unless enough people complain about it.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 June 18 23:40 BST (UK) »

Looks like I can now access US records with a standard UK subscription!? ??? Did ancestry just sack their entire tech department and take on trainees for half the wage ????

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 June 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
I'm starting to wish I hadn't renewed my sub!