Author Topic: Ancestry search up the spout?  (Read 3915 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry search up the spout?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 June 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
I'm starting to wish I hadn't renewed my sub!
Maybe we could get a few free months eh  ;).

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 June 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
I give up ! I've just been trying to search the 1911 census and getting constant " no results" , so I tried searching for surname Smith and no other details . According to ancestry there were no Smiths on the 1911 census. Can someone remind me why I am paying all that money for this rubbish ?

I can get results in a round about way , but the search algorithm seems to be shot.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 June 18 07:24 BST (UK) »
You will have more chance travelling back in time and meeting your ancestors than getting any refund or free months from Ancestry. They have stated several times on their Facebook page that it is not their policy to do this, claiming that it is a small minority that have been affected by their problems which have been going on for the last 3 months. You only have to read Trust Pilot comments (they now have the lowest possible rating) and on their Facebook page to get a taste of the contempt they seem to have for their suffering customers.

Simon

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 June 18 09:42 BST (UK) »
Just been on Ancestry and there's a message on the homepage on the 'What's happening on Ancestry' section - stating they are undergoing maintenance.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 June 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
Up the spout:

Note: Originally, this expression was used to refer to items which had been pawned (= given to someone in return for a loan of money). The `spout' was the lift in which an item was taken from the pawnbroker's shop to the storeroom above.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/up+the+spout

Martin

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 June 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
You will have more chance travelling back in time and meeting your ancestors than getting any refund or free months from Ancestry. They have stated several times on their Facebook page that it is not their policy to do this, claiming that it is a small minority that have been affected by their problems which have been going on for the last 3 months. You only have to read Trust Pilot comments (they now have the lowest possible rating) and on their Facebook page to get a taste of the contempt they seem to have for their suffering customers.

Simon
Oh, well, lucky I have current subscription on offer then. There seem to be plenty reporting similar problems on the ancestry message boards - ancestry site comments section:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/boards/topics.ancestry.ancsite/mb.ashx

Unfortunately it appears the bug that allowed us to see US records on a UK subscription has now been miraculously fixed ::)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 June 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
Up the spout:

Note: Originally, this expression was used to refer to items which had been pawned (= given to someone in return for a loan of money). The `spout' was the lift in which an item was taken from the pawnbroker's shop to the storeroom above.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/up+the+spout

Martin
Thanks for this :), I am surprised I didn't wonder about the origin of this before!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 June 18 00:00 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately it appears the bug that allowed us to see US records on a UK subscription has now been miraculously fixed ::)

You should have kept it to yourself, they probably read what's written on RC  ???

Regardless of who's been affected, if their records are not available to current subscribers for any reason then the subscribers should be recompensed in some way e.g. the amount of days the records were unavailable added to their subscriptions just as telephone companies do when lines are down etc?

I think anyone/everyone who couldn't access the records they should have had access to should email them with dates/loss of availability & ask for an extention on their sub for the days lost?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 June 18 15:50 BST (UK) »

You should have kept it to yourself, they probably read what's written on RC  ???
So other people couldn't have benefit of it? Seems a bit selfish. Also I was not the first to mention it here. It's not at all surprising that the first thing they get off their bums to fix is to stop something we were getting for free.
Regardless of who's been affected, if their records are not available to current subscribers for any reason then the subscribers should be recompensed in some way e.g. the amount of days the records were unavailable added to their subscriptions just as telephone companies do when lines are down etc?

I think anyone/everyone who couldn't access the records they should have had access to should email them with dates/loss of availability & ask for an extention on their sub for the days lost?

Annie
I agree legally speaking. How to actually prove that you had the problems though, without recording screens etc, what with Ancestry apparently claiming that most issues are down to user's own systems, caches etc.