Author Topic: Benfieldside Cementry Help.  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Aurora90

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benfieldside Cementry Help.
« on: Tuesday 19 June 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have been working on my family tree for a while now and have found that a lot of my family members from before 1940s had a paupers grave.

My nanna and I have been successful in finding a lot of them and getting them marked. However, the only person I am struggling with is her Great Grandmother.

I managed to find her great Grandfather: Matthew Henry Gregory, died 1922 and is located in section 6, plot 118.

I am hoping someone can help me find his wife. We have searched high and low for a death record to no avail. The latest entry we have for her is the 1911 census, living with her husband in Consett.

Her name is Ellen Gregory, born in roughly 1851 in Wolverhampton. I am hoping she is buried with her husband and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benfieldside Cementry Help.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat.

Do you have the death certificate for Matthew by any chance? If so - did his wife register the death? That would at least tell you whether she died before or after him.

The nearest death I can see for an Ellen Gregory born c 1851 is Q/E June 1925 in Newcastle Reg District. Just wondering if that may be her.

You could contact the cemetery where Matthew is buried - as you have the grave number they should be able to tell you who is buried in that grave. They may charge a small admin fee though.

On a separate issue - if you are researching in Durham/Northumberland -  this site may be of use to you at some point;

https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/

There is a page with information about that cemetery, although it's only background info.
Another useful site for N.E old pre 1858 wills is;

http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php

If an ancestor left a will pre 1858 -- the site will take you straight to that will on the Family Search site (just something to bear in mind for the future).

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.