Author Topic: Location PG75 Torre Tresca Bari  (Read 817 times)

Offline Global_Adventure

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Location PG75 Torre Tresca Bari
« on: Tuesday 19 June 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
Does anybody know the exact location of PG75 near Torre tresca, Bari?  The original Postal Mark for this location was 3450
My step Grandfather was held here after being captured at Torbruk, N.Africa and it was the first Italian camp he was held in.  I'm planning to visit the area next month and notice a very helpful thread finding another camp (PG70) so hoping for a good result here...
Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Location PG75 Torre Tresca Bari
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
It was in the south of the town of Bari, in the area which is now an industrial area.  A local landmark now is the abandoned church of San Vito of Torre Tresca.  If you check out the photo gallery on this site among them are a couple of pics of the camp.

http://www.barinedita.it/gallery/bari-la-chiesetta-dimenticata-di-torre-tresca_f1045

The area with the blue marking on the second pic on Google Earth is at 41 05 23.17E 16 50 55.52N ,just below the cloverleaf on the S516 intersecting the Viale Giuseppe Tatarella.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Global_Adventure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Location PG75 Torre Tresca Bari
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 17:47 BST (UK) »
Ah yes, I see, I've looked on Google earth nearby that area before, I wondered if the road name was relevant, and was wondering if the ground by the side of the oil refinary was possibly the site - I was surprisingly close.  thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!!