Author Topic: How should I go about finding out my GGGM's maiden name  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
How should I go about finding out my GGGM's maiden name
« on: Tuesday 19 June 18 17:48 BST (UK) »
I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to track down my GGM's maiden name.

The background is that my GGF, David Gravel(l)(e) b 1862/3 married his wife 'Sarah' b 1861/2 around 1884. The 1891 census shows that their first son was born in 1885. It's possible that some records show their Welsh names (Dafydd, Sara) but Ancestry.co.uk hasn't turned up anything new for these.

What I know from the first married census record in 1891 is that David was born in Pembrey, Wales and Sarah was born in Pontargothi, a small village in Camarthenshire, Wales. In subsequent censuses, Sarah gave her birthplace as Llanegwad, a larger village close by, which has either subsumed Pontargothi or is more recognisable to census officials.

From their headstone, I also know the exact dates of their deaths (David in 1918, Sarah in 1925).

I've narrowed the 'Sarah' maiden name options down to 2 or 3: a Sarah Lloyd, a Sarah Phillips and a Sarah Thomas, all born in Llanegwad around 1861. But there might be more ;).

So I know approximately when and where Sarah was born and exactly when and where she died. Similarly I know approximately where and when her husband was born and exactly when he died.

The dates of their children's births is approximate (from census info). All approximations are +/- 1 year. What I don't know is the exact date that they were married though 1884 sounds reasonable (based on the birth of their first child).

So to find out my GGM'd maiden name, I have 4 approaches in mind:
1. Do more deductive work (to remove alternatives)
2. Get the death certificate for my GGG (but would this include her maiden name?)
3. Get a birth certificate for one of their children (but would this include her maiden name?)
4. Try and look up parish records for the village where they were buried
Option 2 sounds the easiest but I read connflicting reports of whether the deceased female  is described in relation to her father (long deceased) or to her spouse.

I read option 3 on rootschat http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=187109.0 but the GRO info doesn't confirm this.

Thanks for any tips and advice!

Mike

Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: How should I go about finding out my GGGM's maiden name
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 17:54 BST (UK) »
The GRO index for births shows mothers maiden name  https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

You just need to register

ADDED Death certificate will not give maiden name
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
In Wales/England her marriage certificate or her child's birth certificate should give the maiden of a mother. If you get a birth certificate of a child chose the rarest name. Especially in Wales.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
GRO records show Oliver Gravel born 1889 with mother’s name as Lloyd.

Does that help? You could check the other children's mmn.

Just had a quick look and all the other children from 1891 census match with mmn Lloyd.

Now I am thinking I have misunderstood and need to reread  ::)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 19:14 BST (UK) »
There are a lot of Carmarthenshire baptisms, marriages and burials on Find My Past. Your library may have access to them.

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this!

Yes, it does help and I will check with the other childrenl! I'd always had 'Sarah Lloyd' in my tree but the evidence was relatively weak and I'd started to look for alternatives.

Thanks,

Mike

GRO records show Oliver Gravel born 1889 with mother’s name as Lloyd.

Does that help? You could check the other children's mmn.

Just had a quick look and all the other children from 1891 census match with mmn Lloyd.

Now I am thinking I have misunderstood and need to reread  ::)
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Rosie!

I am registered at GRO and I'm really grateful for your tip on mothers maiden names' for births on the GRO index! This is new for me. Thanks too for saving me the cost of a death certificate which would probably add no information.

Mike

The GRO index for births shows mothers maiden name  https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

You just need to register

ADDED Death certificate will not give maiden name

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike...

"Thanks too for saving me the cost of a death certificate which would probably add no information"...

Likewise, when I ordered my 1st 'English' DC, (3 x g g/father), I was unaware of what info. would not be on it, hoping for the m/s of his wife (which would usually be on my scottish records)!  ;)

However, I'm glad I was 'in the dark' as it was his daughter who registered his death under a married surname & one I would have had trouble finding as both her forename & m/s had so many variants!
The details which I then researched on her husband related back to where he was born (near where I live now) & his parentage from where I was born so worth the extra £s  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
Marriage?

Marriages Q2 1884   Swansea   Vol 11a p1077   
GRAVEL    David