Author Topic: Help Needed with name and Relationship  (Read 4650 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed with name and Relationship
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
Carol -- just poking my nose back in on this one!

I just want to emphasise Annie's point about Scotland's People -- it is SO worth purchasing a few units even if only for the certificates.

Birth certs not only give you the parent's names (including, of course maiden name of mother) - but when and where they married!

Death certs -- irrespective of age at death, normally give you name of spouse (including maiden name if spouse was female) -- but ALSO names of parents including mother's maiden name. The person who has died could be 90 - but you still get this information usually. How amazing is that.

They only cost 6 credits to view and you can download them instantly.
Credits only cost £7.50 for 30 -- and you only use 6 to view a certificate. (You can purchase more credits of course, but you may want to just try it out first).

As Annie says you can search for free - but only use your credits when you want to view a record.

I know I'm beginning to sound like an advert --- but it is SO worth it.

As regards census records you may want to see if you can find the transcribed version of your family on a site you already subscribe to -- or on Family Search -- so that you can hopefully pick out the actual record from the results on Scotland's People, without wasting credits viewing the wrong one. You can then see the ACTUAL census as opposed to the transcribed version.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 12:23 BST (UK) »
Carol, you may want to check the 1911 census 1st (if parents were still alive) as this will tell you how many children they had, how many still living & how many deceased.

Annie

Thanks Annie, I have done this already...they had 10 children, four of whom had died.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
Carol -- just poking my nose back in on this one!

I just want to emphasise Annie's point about Scotland's People -- it is SO worth purchasing a few units even if only for the certificates.

Birth certs not only give you the parent's names (including, of course maiden name of mother) - but when and where they married!

Death certs -- irrespective of age at death, normally give you name of spouse (including maiden name if spouse was female) -- but ALSO names of parents including mother's maiden name. The person who has died could be 90 - but you still get this information usually. How amazing is that.

They only cost 6 credits to view and you can download them instantly.
Credits only cost £7.50 for 30 -- and you only use 6 to view a certificate. (You can purchase more credits of course, but you may want to just try it out first).

As Annie says you can search for free - but only use your credits when you want to view a record.

I know I'm beginning to sound like an advert --- but it is SO worth it.

As regards census records you may want to see if you can find the transcribed version of your family on a site you already subscribe to -- or on Family Search -- so that you can hopefully pick out the actual record from the results on Scotland's People, without wasting credits viewing the wrong one. You can then see the ACTUAL census as opposed to the transcribed version.

You are not poking your nose in at all Pennines, it's very helpful to know this and I have found information on other sites that you have mentioned. It has been made a little easier as this Family gave their Children their Mother's Maiden name which in this case was Clubb...although this isn't always included on the census returns, just the initial is C .

As I am doing this for my Sil to give her a start...I intend to pass on your helpful advice in order that she can enjoy the experience of finding records for herself.

I appreciate your input and your time  :D

Thanks so much.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Oh thank you for that Carol --- no doubt Sil will become obsessed like the rest of us on here!

Regards June
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
they had 10 children, four of whom had died.

Carol,

Do you have the names of all 10, who you've found & who's still missing with dates (yrs of birth), where/when last on a census?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie:

Andrew age 11
James age 10
John age 7
Hugh age 3

Robert Young Macdonald was aged 5 years in 1901 but doesn't appear in 1911

I am only aware of Agnes's death at the moment but haven't looked yet, but it looks like Robert could have died between censuses too.

Carol

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
Andrew age 11
James age 10
John age 7
Hugh age 3

Robert Young Macdonald was aged 5 years in 1901 but doesn't appear in 1911

I am only aware of Agnes's death at the moment but haven't looked yet, but it looks like Robert could have died between censuses too.

Are these all the ones you haven't found either alive or deceased?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
Age out a tad but likely...

MACDONALD ROBERT YOUNG 53
644/5 797
Milton (Lanark)

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
A few possibles all around same area?

MACDONALD HUGH 52
644/3 1327
Dennistoun

MACDONALD HUGH 54
644/7 1166
Kelvin

MCDONALD HUGH 37 (note spelling with no ‘a’ but a common occurrence)
644/6 1081
Townhead

Annie