Author Topic: Looking for info on Thomas Ross - 1819  (Read 905 times)

Offline Biatek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for info on Thomas Ross - 1819
« on: Tuesday 19 June 18 19:49 BST (UK) »
Any info on parents would be appreciated -

Thomas Ross  1819 (Kirkmichael?) - July, 24 1903 (Massachusetts USA)
Married Mary Stevenson Nov 6, 1846
Children: William (1848), Janet (1852), Samuel (1854), Mary (1856), Margaret (1858)
Mother: Janet Sloan (1779 - 1864) parents: Fergus Sloan, Margaret (Wylie)
Father: ??

Thomas Ross was found guilty of Culpable Homicide (Richard Jones) and sentenced to Australia, Pardoned 1871.  Met up with family in US 1872.

Looking for record of birth and confirmation of parents. 

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Thomas Ross - 1819
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Biatak and welcome to Rootschat,

Thomas and Mary Ross with their son William are recorded on the 1851 Census at Allans Hill, Maybole. There is a 73 year old woman, a widow, - Janet Bryce (noted as Mother of householder) living with them. This would appear to be Thomas's mother.

Janet Bryce is recorded 10 years earlier in 1841 with her husband Robert Bryce at Welltrees Street, Maybole. Both are aged 60. Robert Bryce could be a second husband for Janet as there is a marriage recorded in Maybole on 25th November 1839 between a Robert Bryce and Janet Sloan.

Looking on Scotlands People , there is a death of a 87 year old Janet Bryce at Maybole in 1864. This could be Thomas's mother. There is a chance that the name of her first husband (if she was married before Robert Bryce) is recorded on her death certificate. You can purchase credits for Scotlands People and view the death registration online.

Looby :)

Offline Biatek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Thomas Ross - 1819
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 03:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I did look into Scotlands People and see that the death notice for Janet Bryce lists the informant as Mary Ross - Daughter-in-law, so I assume this confirms Janet Sloan/Bryce as the mother of Thomas Ross. 

Janet Sloan and Robert Bryce marry Nov 25 1839.
Census info says Thomas was born 1819. 

I have looked for marriage record of Janet Sloan to surname Ross.  Looked for Janet married to surname Ross.  I have made the assumption that since the eldest son of Thomas is named William, his father may be William Ross. 

Assuming father of Thomas died before 1839, I have searched for death of surname Ross in the range of 40 years old (age of Janet when Thomas is born)

So far no luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Ross Biatek