Author Topic: Which Waugh is Waugh ?  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Which Waugh is Waugh ?
« on: Tuesday 19 June 18 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I'm looking for some help and inspiration. I've recently discovered that My g-g-g Grandmother is Emelia Waugh 1793. Emelia has siblings reach from 1787 -1808 and are all born in Hull. Their mother and farther is James Waugh and Jane Taylor. The trouble is where does James Waugh come from. I know that on the baptism for his children upto 1805 he is a "Hair Drespher" then becomes the Sexton for St Mary's Church in Hull. From what i have seen from a marriage certificate in 1791 a John Waugh is also listed as a "Hair Drespher". With 4 years difference between each marriage this makes me think that John is a sibling. James seems to be in and out the papers in the "Hull Packet" and his death of him and his wife Jane are also in the paper to. So he does seem he has cemented himself in the community.

My next job was to find siblings for James. For when he dies in the paper he is 65 Y/O which takes his birth date to 1767+-1. The other information i have is that on one of his daughters marriages there is a mention of George waugh and on another one of his daughters mentions a John Waugh!

I have seem to have exhausted all my known soucres as for finding James and John Waugh having the same farther or mother. There seems to be only 3 James Waughs in the country that are born in 1767 and that would be, Roos Yorkshire and two in Scotland.

I seem to be looking at the picture but i feel like there is a bigger picture underneath.

I will be vary grateful for any inspiration.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Which Waugh is Waugh ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Josh,

""Hair Drespher" would be the old long tailed 's' which normally looks like an 'f' i.e. Hair Dresser.

I think Scotland would be a good place to look for the surname Waugh?

I have helped friends with their trees & both have the name Waugh although I can't connect them to each other as it's so far back & would need parish records etc. to establish any connection to each other.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosinish

Yes hairdresser would be a good match :)

James and John Waugh are both Hairdressers and living in Hull would there be a licence they would have to obtain first. This is the first in my family tree were they have a skill profession.

I do know that in the paper that on 24th Decemeber 1808 John waugh got fined for operating his shop on the lords day so i know that he was known in the area i just cant match him up anywhere.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 00:17 BST (UK) »
Josh, sorry I can't be of any further help but the Waughs I have looked at (for friends) have names James, John & William  but those names would be in most ancestry back then when names were not what they are today.

From memory, I think they were Linlithgow & Stirling areas?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 03:15 BST (UK) »
Waugh is a famous name in Lancashire because of poet Edwin Waugh (1817-1890), son of a Rochdale shoemaker. Lancashire Online Parish Clerks has register entries for Waugh from 1720s onwards. There were brothers, John (b. 1764) and James (b. 1772), sons of another Rochdale shoemaker, but they seem to have remained in Rochdale. The name also appears in Liverpool, Ormskirk, Preston, Cartmel and Ulverston and Todmorden (the last town now in Yorkshire) in the 18th century. www.lan-opc.org.uk

Don't be precise about James' birth year. It's possible that his age at death was only an estimate. Recorded age at death of one of my ancestors in 1877 was 80+ but he was really only 74. I suggest searching baptisms a few years either side of 1767. He may not have been baptised as a baby.
Have you found James' marriage? If so, what information does it give you?
Any chance James wasn't C. of E.? Bear in mind that members of other religious denominations turn up in Anglican parish registers during 18th and early 19th centuries for a variety of reasons.
Was James' wife local to Hull? Was she alive at 1841 census?
Have you tried apprenticeship records for James or John?
Surname Waugh could have been spelt in a number of ways in 18thC. It was "Wall" in one Lancashire  register. May also have been Waw.

Cowban

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

Thanks for your help it seems like this is going to be a difficult one unfortunately. I've had less information and had better luck but seems like i have information where he worked and his family and marriage but cannot find where he is from and how John or George Waugh connect him.

Thanks Annie for your help

Offline Josh Swann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone

Yes i have given it a soft search this morning to see if anything has come up from different spellings unfortunately nothing is jumping out at me. James Waugh and Jane Taylor was married in 1787 in Hull and the Church states both of this parish. There in presence of was ........ Pennah  or Pennon  and also Thomas Clay who seems to be on every others on that page so must have worked in the church possibly. His Wife Jane Taylor was born in hull as her sister Mary Became quite well known in the area Marrying a Mr John Hardy Vallance who was in the papers a fair bit so she was fairly easy to track down. It just seems to be the Waugh's who aren't  ??? ???

I did check the apprenticeship records last night and used the word " hair" as a keyword for the search and nothing came up. So i left it wide open and checked a little more mysteriously and a James and John came up in Rowchhew 1756 but it does not list the masters occupation!! I'm not sure if this would be it as he just ages 10 years older?  I'm positive that they would of had to learn the trade somewhere as a apprentice but I've browsed the country. 

Thanks