Author Topic: 14th welsh regiment  (Read 805 times)

Offline SarahCarroll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 14th welsh regiment
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi. Thanks! Yes i have him on the 1939 census with his family and a birth date of 3 Oct 1873 so i've managed to find what i believe is probably his birth record in Pontypridd but i can't find him on any of the other censuses. I hadn't found "Thomas" though! I will order the birth certificate to give me more clues and look into the new "Thomas" clue.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 July 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
I think he may well be in Ystrad in 1881 census (Ystrad comes under Pontypridd registration district) at 22 Church Street

He appears to be the son of Ann Evans (born Aberdare 1833), and other siblings  Mary 1862, Jenkin 1868 (a coal miner), Lewis 1870 and Gwendoline 1877 (all born Pontypridd with mmn of Thomas - on census states born Ystrad for all of them)

They are living with the Smith family - however also with the Smith family is a Jane Thomas, 84 year old mother in law - so Mary Smiths mother - could Mary and Ann be sisters they were both born in Aberdare - this fits with his mother being Mrs A Evans

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 July 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
I think the decade before they are in Blaengarw in Bridgend
Husband John Jenkin Evans A 33 year old Colllier from Gelligaer, Wife Ann Evans 37 from Aberdare, children Mary (7) and Jenkin(3) both born Ystradyfodwg and 5 month old Lewis

The family (minus the father again) could well be in Penrhys in 1891 - however Gwilym is down as 14 - the same as Gwendoline.  But mother Anne born Aberdare and Jenkin, Gwilym and Gwen all born Ystradyfodwg seems a big coincidence

Offline SarahCarroll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
Thankyou! These are also the conclusions i had come to after the previous help but it's so great that you've come to these conclusions too as it reassures me I'm on the right track!