Author Topic: Search for half sistet  (Read 1365 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Search for half sistet
« on: Wednesday 20 June 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,helping a friend, who was adopted at 6 months, and trying to trace a half sister who may still be alive so will not mention her name. My friends parents (both deceased) were John Henry Roberts and Maud mary laird. They married13.09.1939. They had two daughters * and cherril(died 2002). The elder daughter married set q 1964 and may well have had children. Cannot find a death before 2005 which is all I have access to can anyone supply further info via a pm please

Thanks John

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Search for half sister
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
For anyone trying to help,the marriage index gives the father's name as James,and mum has 3 christian names.

Marriages Sep 1939

Laird    Maud M C    to Roberts    Tiverton    5b   1546   

Roberts    James H   to Laird    Tiverton    5b   1546    

The 1964 marriage person,comes up on a Canadian (Halton Ontario) electoral roll complete with hubby in 1974.

I have PM'd John as I have found a possible candidate on a social media site
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Search for half sistet
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 June 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
With such an unusual Christian name I strongly suspect this is her. I will pass on the information to my friend and if anything transpires I will let you know. Thanks
John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, well don't we all like a great outcome. With your help and my son who lives in Canada we traced my friends half sister and she took the chance of phoning her. Her half sister was a little surprised but not shocked. They have exchanged e-mail addresses, and my friend will be getting pictures of a mother she never knew, plus pictures of her half sisters. They plan to meet later in the year when half sister comes to uk. So thanks to you for helping. I will be asking for further help re my friends half sisters father, James h g Roberts when he married in 1932 and James H Roberts in 1939 but will get to you when a little more is known.

John

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Search for half sister
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 18:56 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant news John, it doesn't always work out like that,helped enormously in this case by her unusual christian name.

I would never recommend phoning anyone out of the blue,she could have just said get lost and that would have been the end of it,a letter is usually the best way to go as it gives the person time to think and consult other family members.

You were very lucky in this case. ;)

When you're ready to ask for more help,it would probably be best to start a new thread with all his details on.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
many thanks for your last posting. I fully agree with you about writing a letter, but this too can lead to no response. In this case the fact the half sisters had never met in 71 years my friend was open to any reaction from who she believed to be her half sister. It transpires that we were very lucky indeed as her half sibling had divorced but had kept her old facebook page in her old name. I have just ordered my friends original gro birth cert to see who registered her birth as it is a faint possibility that it may have been James Roberts in which case he would be her birth father and she and the others would be full sisters. On that note they plan to do a DNA test to try and establish this. My new posting will be the search for James Henry (G) Roberts, who was born c 1912-13 so I'm pretty sure he will be deceased by now.

John