Author Topic: 1873 Funeral  (Read 1094 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1873 Funeral
« on: Wednesday 20 June 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I have found a newspaper article about the funeral of a relative in 1873, she was a young woman the last member of her family and the funeral was arranged by her fiancee and he gave notice to her relatives that there was ' to be no women at the funeral' which I find strange. Was it usual at that time not to have women at a funeral?
There was trouble about the position of the chief mourning coach which is why the story made the papers as  Disgraceful Scenes at a Funeral. Maybe it was in anticipation of that?
Thanks
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1873 Funeral
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Can’t comment on 1873 but when my friends father died in Liverpool in 1976 no women were allowed at his funeral - including his widow and only daughter.

I never did find out the reason but it was nothing to do with any family rift as they were very happily married
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
From Cassell's Household Guide of 1880

It sometimes happens among the poorer classes that the female relatives attend the funeral; but this custom is by no means to be recommended, since in these cases it but too frequently happens that, being unable to restrain their emotions, they interrupt and destroy the solemnity of the ceremony with their sobs, and even by fainting.

I also remember that in Elizabeth Gaskell's novel, Cranford (pub. 1851-1853), there is a character who wishes to attend her father's funeral, and her friends try to dissuade her from doing so on the grounds that it would be improper. (Spoiler: she does)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 18:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you,  I always thought funerals were open for anyone to pay their respects and the more that attended showed how well thought of they were. At this funeral there was a hearse and two mourning coaches so there can't have been many there.
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
"At this funeral there was a hearse and two mourning coaches so there can't have been many there."

Ah, but how many people lived within walking distance of the church!

Giggsy

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 21:36 BST (UK) »
In this case she was buried many miles away in a little country churchyard where their uncle had been curate. At first I couldn't understand why they were buried there until I saw the grave and her two elder sisters are actually buried with the curate and his wife.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 June 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
Was she Welsh background?

It always used to be men only (if there was a service at the house women could go to that) - I remember my husbands great aunt dying in 2000 and she still wanted to stick to that

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wales/entries/9c24f1e1-d62c-3e28-a1db-7664cad06183

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 June 18 14:29 BST (UK) »
No, they were Lancashire, died in Oldham and buried up in Saddleworth,  reading this about the Welsh funerals made me smile, we had a relative who went to all the funerals in the village for a free feed!