Author Topic: Am I jumping to conclusions here? Brantom - Cave - Gaskin  (Read 371 times)

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Am I jumping to conclusions here? Brantom - Cave - Gaskin
« on: Wednesday 20 June 18 17:50 BST (UK) »
1901 census Heath and Reach, Frederick William Brantom and wife Mildred (nee Roberts married Droitwich RD June Q 1900) with his widower father James.

1911 census Fenny Stratford, Frederick William Brantom and wife Mildred have daughters Winifred (birth looks to be Mar Q 1903 Newport Pagnell RD - Fenny Stratford is in NP RD) and Cicely Marion (birth looks to be Sep Q 1905 Newport Pagnell RD). Also in household is visitor Winifred Roberts (probably Mildred's sister who Winifred has been named for) and Emily Charles a 66 year old monthly nurse.

Frederick and Mildred appear on electoral registers in Fenny Stratford - his business looks to be doing well - over the next decade or so and a 1935 directory shows Mrs Mildred Brantom as proprietoress of a painting business at 41 Church Street and a shopkeeper at 71 Aylesbury Street in Fenny.

There is a death Sept Q 1933 NP RD Frederick Brantom and 1939 register tells us that Mildred (dob 9 Sep 1875) is a widow and is living at 71 Aylesbury Street with a son James - named for his grandfather FW's father - born 4th May 1911 and a Winifred GASKIN born 21 Nov 1902 a PO clerk.

Cicely M Brantom appears to marry John A. Wise NP RD Dec Q 1933 and 1939 register shows her living at Brooklyn, Denbigh Road, Bletchley U.D. (dob 1 June 1905) with husband John and a baby John born April 1938. 

There's a marriage of a Winifred BRANTOM June Q 1928 NP RD to a Charles T. CAVE which could be Fred and Mildred's daughter Winifred.

There's another marriage of a Winifred CAVE Dec Q 1937 North Bucks RD (NP RD has ben replaced by North Bucks by this time) to a Edward D GASKIN which could make the Winfred Gaskin who is with Mildred in 1939 her daughter.

This suggests Winifred married Mr Cave and then subsequently married Mr Gaskin but I can't spot any obvious death for Charles T Cave between 1928 and 1937 so has Winifred divorced Mr Cave to marry Mr Gaskin or am I jumping to conclusions here as divorce would have been very expensive and unusual?

Thanks
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Am I jumping to conclusions here? Brantom - Cave - Gaskin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 19:32 BST (UK) »
He was nibbling at other goods.... so she called for a divorce.

It's in the Bucks newspapers 26 May 1934.

Mrs. Winifred Cave .... Church Street, Fenny Stratford, petitioned for the dissolution .... husband, Mr. Charles Thomas Cave ....
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 23:40 BST (UK) »
It looks like Charles Thomas Cave remarried early 1935 in Oxfordshire to Edith Ellen Wadham
Possibly they had a child in 1942

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 June 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone - I shall look into her background further.

She and her sister, both young children, are in a photograph taken c1915 wearing Votes for Women sashes.

The females in the family appear to be  a feisty lot; Winifred was prepared to divorce Mr Cave!
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas