Author Topic: Miscellaneous questions  (Read 946 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Miscellaneous questions
« on: Wednesday 20 June 18 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

In typing up my genealogical research, I'm also including a section on military service. Just asking for advice on writing up something. My grandad was part of the signals division of the RAF. I've categorised all Army records into regiments but this doesn't apply to the RAF. What should I describe signals division as? Similarly, one member was a Royal Marine. Is this is a unit of the Royal Navy? What exactly is its relation to the Navy?

Sorry if this is a bit jumbled!

Thanks,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous questions
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
The Royal Marines are in the Royal Navy.

The Air Support Signal Units were Army but provided signals support to the RAF who did not have those skills.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 18:28 BST (UK) »
The majority of the air formation signals were badged to the Royal Corps of Signals.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
What exactly do you mean by "signals division of the RAF".  The RAF had aircrew signallers and tradesmen with radio and radar trades all of which could be described in that way.   It seems a bit quick to jump straight to the army support elements. 

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
I asked my grandad if he was part of a unit or anything and he said he was part of the signals division of the RAF. Those were his words, I was just wondering how to write this out exactly.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
I see the difficulty.  If he was in the RAF then he wasn't in the Royal Corps of Signals.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)