Author Topic: DNA  (Read 2702 times)

Offline mahon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA
« on: Wednesday 20 June 18 21:48 BST (UK) »
hi all dont know if im in the correct place but i have a query on ancestry dna. my sister and i have both taken the test and match with the children/grandchildren of 8 siblings of which one is my grandfather. so basically the point is that even though i dont know most of these i have a list passed down and i know 100% that we are connected. during my research over the years i have been in contact with a family called mahan (i am researching mahon) they have matched with my search and after being in touch for 6 months they said they had taken the dna test , so i took one and we matched. i have since matched with all their family who have since taken the dna test. butttt my cousins dont match, not one of them. i have contacted ancestry and because there is at least 30 of my cousins that dont match these people there is not the possibility that the dna has just not been picked up , so there must be a person who is not who we think they are. eg adopted , fathered by someone else etc. but my query is that we are the ones with the name so we must be the right connection but unlikely the  mother would have the middle child to her husband and all the others not . everyone is dead so no one is going to get hurt and also i dont feel its something i would share anyway , but as far as my research goes i thought i had hit the jackpot because it proves the person who i was researching  is correct. its been years of research and now this has thrown a different light on things. can anyone help as i have been looking to find someone on google but looks like no one does this.xx

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: DNA
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 22:14 BST (UK) »
This sounds fascinating.  Someone is in for a shock.  I look forward to following this thread.

Martin

Offline mahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 22:27 BST (UK) »
I Know Martin its the strangest thing ever.x

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 June 18 11:47 BST (UK) »
Are the cousins that don't match considered to be 1st, 2nd. or 3rd. cousins.
It wasn't that unusual pre Adoption Act for children to be informally adopted into a family.
Also WW1 & 2 were responsible for a lot of illegitimacy.
Mapping out the tree should lead to the suspect person.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline mahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 June 18 12:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim just wondering i suppose if people on here think the same as me, or what the explanation is. The main thing is that we carry the name Mahon and the American people we match are that name so if the Americans had a different surname that i would 100% think my grandfather isnt  who we think he is, but it looks strange because we are the only match and not the cousins if that makes sense.x

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 June 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Could the Mahan s be a separate family and linked thru your grandmother ?

It's fascinating ....I think we need more details or a chart to see who matches who

Having some dates may help can you gI've deceased grandparents names ?
Could it be that a child was baptised under grandparents name so the match is more distant with their cousins and not showing up on a match ....are you talking 1st 2nd 3rd cousins here ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline mahon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 June 18 18:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply...

We are talking 2nd cousins, we are all the grandchildren of 8 original brothers and sisters.
We all match regardless I presume because of the mother of these 8 children, we have matches in common across the board for the mothers family, as in all the relevant cousins we can see have matches to the mothers family but the one person I find with the Mahon surname from another Mahon as I describe below doesn't match any of them.

Having researched this for many years, it lead me back to Killeen, Meath in the 1830's and to what I on paper I made the assumption were 2 brothers (John & Cornelius) marrying within days of eachother - this was a hunch at the time based on shared witness names and their location, etc - I then found Cornelius going to the US - I was able to find a descendant of him and his wife who I contacted. This is the person I mention in the thread that told me he had done Ancestry DNA test and a huge breakthrough when we do in fact match!!

I have since matched with every relative on his side that has taken the DNA test, as has my sister.

The obvious reason for the lack of match would be that MY grandfather is the odd the odd one out and was fathered by someone else, the child of a family member, etc - but it's his descendants e.g. me and my sister who match the people in America and they are the people who share the same MAHON surname and who we have matched them to in our search. So even prior to the DNA test results we believed they were related.

Looking at it does everyone reading this believe that the disconnect could only have happened with the parents of these 8 children?
I can't see even if my grandfather had different a different father how his descendants can share a connection with someone who is also a direct descendant of a Mahon, who we know is from the same area and we believed was a relation before the DNA almost 200 years ago.

Any other views would be great and I look forward to your replies

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 June 18 18:34 BST (UK) »
It's quite difficult to follow when we don't have much in the way of dates.
Are you saying your Grandfather is one of the 8 brothers & sisters or a child of one of them?
When you mention a 2nd. cousin how many times removed would they be.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 June 18 19:35 BST (UK) »
This sounds quite complicated and I don't fully understand what you mean, but it does sound intriguing.

My view FWIW - If you and your sister match with the American families, it is probable that you share the same ancestors, though not definitely.

The cousins who don't match - if they appear as fairly close (4th to 6th cousins, or closer) to you, that doesn't mean that they will appear as 4 to 6 cousins to the American family members.

If they appear as 5 to 8 cousins, they will not show up on 'shared matches'. Way round this is for each 'cousin' to click on profile name of your American matches.

Even so there may not be a 6 cM+ match with each member.  Way round this is to upload to site with a chromosome browser, but persuading all members to upload can be hard work.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go