Author Topic: 1851 census 3 Sands Street Liverpool - need look up please  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Kira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1851 census 3 Sands Street Liverpool - need look up please
« on: Thursday 21 June 18 05:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Listers

I have just received the death certificate of my ancestor William Hughes born c1811 and died 17 January 1849 age 38.  The address stated at his death is 3 Sands Street Liverpool.

His family, wife Mary Ann Hughes, widow, along with her children Elizabeth ( my GGGrandmother) , Margaret, Thomas, Ann and Mary Ann's parents the Northcotts all live at 71 Rathbone Street Mount Pleasant in the 1851 census , just around the corner from Sands Street.
William and Mary Ann's last child Ann was born March 1849 and at her baptism, the address is 71 Rathbone Street Liverpool.

At a guess, l am presuming that they lived at the back of this house which bordered Sands Street. William's Mother in Law , Elizabeth Northcott was 'present at death'.

I have tried looking for the 1851 census for this address, 3 Sands Street,  through familysearch with no results. Could someone please help me on this issue.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to look this up.

Lloyd/Cheshire. Lloyd Halkyn Flint. Lloyd/Llangwyfan. Hughes/Lancashire .Fulton/Lancashire and Scotland.Hendy+Cox+Binner/Devon.Brazier/Kent.Collins+Tribbett/Wiltshire.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census 3 Sands Street Liverpool - need look up please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 June 18 06:33 BST (UK) »
I can only see a Sands place
This is the family at no 3
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGYF-BVP

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 June 18 08:04 BST (UK) »
3 Sand Street, Liverpool -H0107 / 2182 f510 p22
James White age 40 occ Master Mariner - Born Jersey B.S. (All of the family born there)
Eliza 34
James 8
Alfred 6
Eliza 4
Emily 1
Plus visitors
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 June 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
Sands Street must be recorded as Sand Street a bit confusing as there were two of them listed below. The other one being off Carlton Street off Great Howard Street:-

https://www.lswlfhs.org.uk/census/Streets1851/StreetsS.htm

Blue

Offline Kira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 June 18 16:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for taking the time to look this up for me. FamilySearch have the birth place as B.S.  !!!

I used this map to find Sands Street....  Rathbone_map1906 …. that shows Sands Street around the corner of Rathbone Street. So l am presuming this is the 'right' one.
According to the Trinity House Petition that Mary Ann applied for around June 1849, there was a death document certified by a surgeon, included. This surgeon also stated Sands Street and that he had 'seen him' a couple of days prior. This petition was amazing with so many copy baptisms, marriage, ships William was First Mate or Captain, certified letters from ship owners and other documents.
As Mary Ann was seven months pregnant with her (of living) sixth child, (and it looks like they lived in the cellar of 71 Rathbone Street), l presume that her husband may have been taken care of  by this neighbour James White and family. Would be good to know if 71 Rathbone Street is on the corner of 3 Sands Street. 
Mary Ann had six young children at her husbands death. What a terrible situation to be in.

Thank you all, once again.

Lloyd/Cheshire. Lloyd Halkyn Flint. Lloyd/Llangwyfan. Hughes/Lancashire .Fulton/Lancashire and Scotland.Hendy+Cox+Binner/Devon.Brazier/Kent.Collins+Tribbett/Wiltshire.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 June 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
Have a look at this c1950 map with house numbers, you may need to adjust the zoom to view ie zoom out to make the map appear:-

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/335268/389337/13/101329

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 June 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
People moved around a lot back then it can be difficult tracing moves. Directories might be useful  1848 McCorquodale has listings for both Rathbone Street and Sands Street. Information was probably collected during 1847. It locates 71 Rathbone Street on a block of properties between courts 9 and 11 so this property was on the other side of Washington Street on the east side of Rathbone Street:-

Rathbone Street - 1848 McCorquodale Directory

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G968-J79H?cat=724489

Sand Street - 1848 McCorquodale Directory

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-8968-JQL8?cat=724489

Blue

Offline Kira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 June 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
Well done everyone for guiding me around this interest of mine.

I had wondered if Mary Ann and William, had had hissy fits with each other and William temporarily stayed with a buddy or as l mentioned before, he was convalescing at another family's home.

Interesting that the M'Corquodale directory has a William Hughes living 10 Sand Street!!  Where as 'my' William had a death address of 3 Sand(s) Street.

Thank you all !

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 June 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
It is the place of death, he may have been passing in the street and taken ill or even just visiting.  He does not have to be resident there when he died
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk