Author Topic: Henry Jefferd Young - why did he wait 25 years?  (Read 4871 times)

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Henry John Young - why did he wait 25 years?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 01 July 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
I have now received the marriage certificate which confirms that I  have managed to get myself In a complete tangle with this one.

The groom was Henry John Young, aged 68, (previous marriage disolved), porter (B R) retired. Son of Charles Young (dec'd), labourer. Witnesses Ethel Male and Làura Brimecombe. Married Newton Abbot Register Office. Bride and groom of same Torquay address. (Consistent -nearly- with 1939 register)

Ethel Male and Laura Brimecombe were neighbours in 1939 and both widowed.
They lived in East Street Newton Abbott.Both had sons (Leonard Brimecombe and Alfred Male living at home with them.

Not sure if that helps or not!

Leonard Brimecombe was a also a Railway Porter and a crossing keeper.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Jefferd Young - why did he wait 25 years?
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 01 July 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
You say Bessie died in 1964,who registered her death, if Henry then we know he couldn't have died in 1960!
[/quote

While details of Henry's death would bring things to a tidy conclusion, the big, and probably unanswerable, question remains. Why, if they were having children together  in 1925/7, living together in 1939, did they not marry until 1954? Obviously Henry was not free to marry for part of that time but surely he did not have wait 25 years for a divorce!

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 01 July 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
You say Bessie died in 1964,who registered her death, if Henry then we know he couldn't have died in 1960!
[/quote

While details of Henry's death would bring things to a tidy conclusion, the big, and probably unanswerable, question remains. Why, if they were having children together  in 1925/7, living together in 1939, did they not marry until 1954? Obviously Henry was not free to marry for part of that time but surely he did not have wait 25 years for a divorce!

Divorce was not cheap,or maybe one of them was a catholic who did not believe in divorce.
So he would have had to have waited till his first wife died.

Do you have Bessie's death cert? If you can answer my earlier question we may be able to pinpoint his death.

Have you discovered who Henry actually did marry,as he's proved not to be the Henry Jeffered Young you first thought.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 01 July 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
15 June 1954. Eveline Bessie Beer, daughter of Frederick Saunders(dec'd), widow, married Henry John Young, son of Charles Young(dec'd). Previous marriage dissolved. That suggests to me that he had divorced his former wife and that she was still alive. If she was dead, surely he would have simply described himself as a widower.

I'm not sure how having details of either Eveline Bessie's or Henry's death is going to shed any light on their circumstances between 1927 and 1954.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 02 July 18 10:20 BST (UK) »
We still do not know when Henry John / Harry died.  The 1954 death is not him.

Deaths Dec qtr 1964 
YOUNG    BESSIE E   
age 72    NEWTON A.    7A   536
Carol was suggesting that by purchasing this certificate you would know whether she was a widow when she died.

The 1960 Plymouth death for Henry that you considered - probate was to Edward Ernest Young (labourer H M Dockyard).  Henry was living in Plymouth

How about this one, date of birth nearly agrees with earlier record  ???
Death Mar qtr 1977 
HENRY JOHN YOUNG   
Date of birth 11 MAR 1887   
WORTHING    18   2362
(died 8 February address, Shoreham, Sussex - £22026  - Probate index)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 02 July 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, Rosie, I saw the Worthing death and wondered about the d o b. 11 Mar 1887, compared to 11 May 1887 in 1939.
What  really caused me to hesitate was the size of the estate.  Seemed rather excessive for a labouring railway worker.
I am trying to reconstruct Eveline Bessie's life which is why I am interested in the 1927-1954 period.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 02 July 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
I am trying to reconstruct Eveline Bessie's life which is why I am interested in the 1927-1954 period.

What about the period to her death.  :-\

£22,000 probably would not be that excessive in 1977.  Bessie died in 1964, where were they living at the time, did they own the property.  He could have inherited the cash.

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 02 July 18 13:51 BST (UK) »
We still have not worked out which birth was Henry John's ,and until we find his death (hence me asking if you have Bessie's death cert ,to see if there were any clues on that) we cannot find his birth,or first marriage.

Let us know when you get the 1920's birth certs,tell us what info is on them, and we'll see if we can help again.

Carol

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 02 July 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
Have just received birth cert for child born in 1927 (was still alive up to a few years ago)

Registered by father  -  John Henry (sic)Young. Builders labourer. Mother  -  Elizabeth (sic) Bessie Young, late Beer, formerly Saunders. Born at  father's address.