Author Topic: Brickwall inflation  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brickwall inflation
« on: Thursday 21 June 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
Brickwall or brickwall?

It seems to me that this shorthand for a very difficult FH research problem has recently become trendy and much over-used.

I have been researching for nearly 40 years (multiple lines) yet I would claim to have only, perhaps, half a dozen brickwalls.

I have seen queries from people (not on RC necessarily) wailing about a brickwall because, for example, they can't find a birth certificate for an ancestor born in 1790!!! 

Perhaps there should be another term for this sort of thing - 'a low fence' or some such??

Melbell  ::)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall inflation
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 June 18 10:02 BST (UK) »
I think I definitely have a brick wall, Margaret Church, so named because she was found as a baby by the vicar of St Margaret's Church and named accordingly!  Not much chance of finding her parents.  :-(

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 June 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
I think I definitely have a brick wall, Margaret Church, so named because she was found as a baby by the vicar of St Margaret's Church and named accordingly!  Not much chance of finding her parents.  :-(

;D ;D ;D ;D I would say that was an impassible barrier rather than a brickwall, which you can climb over, dig under, go round or smash down 

I have seen queries from people (not on RC necessarily) wailing about a brickwall because, for example, they can't find a birth certificate for an ancestor born in 1790!!! 

It is a brickwall, for them and often their lack of research skills or knowing what records are available for which dates in various countries...and for some if it doesn't tell them online it doesn't exist ::)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 June 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
FWIW, I agree with all of the above comments. Yes, I think '... hit a brick wall" has become part of our common vocabulary for describing a research challenge for which we've not yet found a breakthrough. Yes, it's probably overused, and yes,  I'm sure the expression is relative to the research skills, knowledge, access to information, time available, etc. of the researcher.

From my general life experience, I've found that people differ in their determination, perseverance and flexibility in solving problems. In other words, some people tend to give up (brick wall!) earlier than others who just grit their teeth (even more  :) ) and may (perhaps, eventually) find different resources and approaches or just give up later in the process.

I don't have many research skills or knowledge but I try to avoid the term 'brick wall" and just ask for help, tips and advice. Up to now, Rootschatters have helped me to make 'breakthroughs' (for which I'm very grateful!). I also realise that reading up or following courses would help me in doing research. I haven't done much new research in years and in that time I've focused on applying Genealogy standards and good practices to the records I'd previously researched. I've also taken (local) control of my records/media rather than having everything on-line.

So even if 'brick wall" is perhaps over-used, I do think it's a genuine expression that the Rootschat member wants help. In terms of language. "Brick Wall" is the syntax whereas "I need help" is the meaning (semantic).

If I could add just one point, it would be that I'd prefer to see experienced members teach less experienced members the process of (and resources for) how to break through their 'brick walls" rather than just providing them with the information they want to find. I'm sure many members do this but there's always the temptation to 'look it up' and post the results (with source).

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 June 18 16:47 BST (UK) »
Mike

Thanks for your balanced and sensible comments.  As I said, I wasn't really referring to Rootschatters in my first post.  I just wondered what others felt about the expression and how it was used.

Melbell

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 June 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
If I could add just one point, it would be that I'd prefer to see experienced members teach less experienced members the process of (and resources for) how to break through their 'brick walls" rather than just providing them with the information they want to find. I'm sure many members do this but there's always the temptation to 'look it up' and post the results (with source).

Interesting point! I personally don't as I feel it could be taken as being condescending, however regardless of how experienced or not we are, we can all learn from each other, information is often found via a simply solution, fresh eyes, no emotion ( and we all hold emotion about 'our' ancestors which can be a barrier in itself)

As brilliant as the internet is I also think it produces lots of brick walls/barriers and there are many people out there who have splendid trees of 'their ancestors' when in reality the only tool they used was the internet to 'find them' and if they really researched many would find they have splendid trees of unrelated names only
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 June 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
My what one might call "brickwall" moments tend to have been related to Ireland - they are known to me either as "Before they emerged, dripping wet, from the Irish sea in Liverpool" or "Lost in the bogs of Ireland". Neither of these being as easy to get through as a nice dry, clean brick wall, in my opinion.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 June 18 18:55 BST (UK) »
My what one might call "brickwall" moments tend to have been related to Ireland - they are known to me either as "Before they emerged, dripping wet, from the Irish sea in Liverpool" or "Lost in the bogs of Ireland". Neither of these being as easy to get through as a nice dry, clean brick wall, in my opinion.

That describes Bryan's paternal line to a tee  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Whereas some of my paternal lines vanished into the mists of the Scottish Highlands.   :'( :'( :'( :-\
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 June 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
Perhaps use of the word "brickwall" should have a time constraint?  Only to be used after, say, 1,000 hours of intense research.  That's about 3 hours a day for a year.

Martin