Author Topic: Uniform ID Please  (Read 1675 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: W. H. Griffin RNR WW1
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 June 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
The far medal is the only one that looks vaguely military.  It has one clasp (the bit on the ribbon) and our Second Afghan War man would have had the one medal with the one Kandahar clasp.  The man in the pic has sergeant's stripes but nothing I can distinguish in terms of regiment and we don't know whether the Kandahar man made it to sergeant.

Needle/haystack etc!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform ID Please
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 June 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
Okay...thanks for that Max...I will scan the medals at a high resolution to see whether anything can be identified.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 June 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
Here we go....not hopeful though...no detail on the buttons either  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: W. H. Griffin RNR WW1
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 June 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
The far medal is the only one that looks vaguely military.  It has one clasp (the bit on the ribbon) and our Second Afghan War man would have had the one medal with the one Kandahar clasp.  The man in the pic has sergeant's stripes but nothing I can distinguish in terms of regiment and we don't know whether the Kandahar man made it to sergeant.

Needle/haystack etc!

MaxD

If this is Robert Young MacDonald from the previous post, then he would have been 80 years old in 1937. he died in 1938.

Carol

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 June 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
When I first looked at this I thought he was a Commissionaire or similar.
I agree he looks a bit unkempt for a military man & any campaign medal would be first in order of precedence not third. So are they long service medals & awards perhaps.
Could be wrong of course.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 June 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
When I first looked at this I thought he was a Commissionaire or similar.
I agree he looks a bit unkempt for a military man & any campaign medal would be first in order of precedence not third. So are they long service medals & awards perhaps.
Could be wrong of course.

Thanks for that Jim...it's most welcome  :D

Carol

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 June 18 17:47 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

The first medal is definately masonic, you can just make out a compass/dividers and square. The second is probably also masonic.

The bottom two could be military, the furthest looks vaguely star shaped from the edge.

I have seen other photo's where the medals are worn haphazard even on a uniform sometimes. Not sure when medals were first properly mounted on bars.

John915

Added, also an eye at top of first medal.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 June 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that John...my OH also believes that there is a Masonic link in the medals shown.
I appreciate your input  :D

Carol