Author Topic: Stockton marriage  (Read 2008 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Stockton marriage
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 June 18 18:08 BST (UK) »
The family in Aston in 1841 show Sarah to be 40, which would match with the 1802 christening in Market Drayton. Maybe not the younger wife Henry has.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 June 18 10:18 BST (UK) »
A family tree has death for Henry in 1861 Awre Glos and for Sarah Stubbs in 1877 Aston Warwickshire with a burial for her 26 Apr 1877 Duddeston St Matthew.   

The tree has another marriage for Henry to Sarah Stubbs this time her death 1841-1851 so I'm guessing this is just a guess.

Maybe the age of the Sarah buried in 1877 ** would help pin down which one she was?

** Jun 1877 Aston age 78

I don't think that's the right Sarah. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 22 June 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
No, that would make her born 1799. Is there a registration for Henry Stockton in 1861?
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 June 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
But still Sarah Stubbs appears to be the mother of my Elizabeth judging by the 1841 Census that gives the same age as Henry (she was a year younger).

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 22 June 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
No Henry Stockton death in 1861
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 June 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
Where do people get these dates from? Do they just pluck them from the sky? Honestly, it's so annoying. There's so much misinformation online, on Ancestry, on online trees. Time and time again I've found information relating to my ancestors, claiming someone was their wife or something, before you find this individual died shortly after birth. Why can't people be more thorough rather than misleading people?

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 22 June 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
I know it is frustrating.  My own grandfather someone had on a tree passing away in London and insisted this was correct even though I knew perfectly well when and where he died and told them the correct information.

The 1861 death for Henry I imagine is an "educated guess" going by when he is last seen but to have two marriages to the same woman with a different death for her on each is mind boggling.   
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 June 18 10:49 BST (UK) »
It's a very confusing family. Even with Henry himself, there is no sign of his parents before his birth. His father was Joseph Stockton and I know nothing of where he came from, when he married or when he died. I think Sarah's parents married in nearby Moreton Say but I can't be sure.