Author Topic: New change of names database, has anyone tried it?  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
New change of names database, has anyone tried it?
« on: Thursday 21 June 18 15:49 BST (UK) »

I've been sent some info from 'The Genealogist' on their 'Change of Names Database' and wondered if anyone on here had tried it?

Having just rejoined Ancestry, I'm not in a rush to sign up to the Genealogist again, but wondered how useful this would be?

I'm fairly convinced that the reason that I can't find my Grandfather, William James Wilson (1860 - 1937) anywhere before his Marriage in Swansea in 1893, is that he must have used a different Surname prior to that. He says on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses that he was Born in 'Manchester, Lancs', but I've never been able to find a Birth or Baptism that fits...

Romilly ::)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: New change of names database, has anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 June 18 18:36 BST (UK) »
To help anyone looking, the marriage was 22 Jun 1893 at Swansea parish church:
William James Wilson, 32, Bachelor, Painter, Lower Oxford st., William Wilson (deceased), Mason
Margaret Rees, 26, Spinster, , Northampton Villas, Evan Rees, Copperman
Both signed
Witness: Evan Rees, Esta Selina Rees (the Esta is in a different hand from Selina's)
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 June 18 18:43 BST (UK) »
I had a quick try of it for someone who had been born in Russia, but had anglicized their surname. I could therefore only use the new name --- I got Nil results.

I realise I can't judge it from just that one try though.

The trouble is, anybody could simply change their name to whatever they wanted (they just wouldn't have any documentation, but not as much evidence of identity was needed 'back in the day').
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 June 18 19:35 BST (UK) »

Yes, anyone could seemingly change their name at the drop of a hat, as it were.

I was just wondering to what detail the Genealogist's database went into... I.e, have they put on people with the same year and place of birth, appearing with different Surnames?

I'm sure that I would find nothing new on my elusive Grandfather on there. I've been trying to find him since I first started looking, in the 1970's. And I've been asking on here since I joined in 2005:-(

It was just another 'clutching at straws' exercise really...

Romilly  ???
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 June 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
You can still change your name "at the drop of a hat".  You can call yourself anything as long as it isn't for fraudulent purposes.

Martin

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 June 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
Don'tknow if I'm allowed to do this - but this is the information provided on the Genealogist site about the 'Changes of Name' dataset.

'More Information
Change Of Names

This collection has been compiled from various sources. These include Changes of Name by Royal licence, which were usually publicised in the London and Dublin Gazettes, as well as the 'Times' newspaper.

Changes of name also took place by private acts of Parliament and are indicated by the reign and name of the ruling monarch, while changes made by Deed poll would also be advertised in the 'Times'.

Scottish changes of name were recorded in the Register of Lord Lyon in Edinburgh, while other Irish changes were recorded in the Ulster's Office in Dublin and published in the Dublin Gazette, and also noted by Ulster King of Arms William Betham.'

The search screen gives an option of inserting the previous name (Christian and surname) and the new name(s). Also gives a date field (which I cannot imagine anyone knowing!

I've just tried inputting a surname of Schmidt - and looked at one of the results -- it seems to show entries from 'The Times' --- simply a list of old names and new names - some have a date at the side, others don't. Hence you might be able to find these by searching old Times newspapers (but I haven't tried).

Someone had changed their name from Schmidt -- to De Schmidt!!
Places of interest;

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 June 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, deed poll is the formal way of announcement of a name change, not a requirement.

Martin

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 June 18 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that link Stan -- very informative.
Places of interest;