Author Topic: John Youngson  (Read 1291 times)

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Youngson
« on: Thursday 21 June 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
Looking for some help as to the parents of John Youngson who married Elizabeth Philips (1783-1863)  in 1806 Cruden, Aberdeenshire, no witnesses listed and it says John was in the Parish of Longside.  Elizabeths parents were called George and Margaret.  They went on to have 9 children (that I know of so far):
Mary 1809-1886  no witnesses on baptism certificate
George 1810-1830 no witness on baptism certificate
John 1813-1889
James 1818-1903
Robert 1819-1882
Elizabeth 1823-1889
Alexander 1825-1907
William 1825-1902
Jane/Jean 1833-

John was deceased by 1855 as Jean/Jane married then.  I have not found him in the 1841 census nor his wife but she is in the 1851 Census as Head of Household at Bullers Buchan. 
I cannot find baptism certificates for any of the other children.
Any ideas please?  Thanks.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Youngson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 August 18 11:17 BST (UK) »
According to SP Longside or Cruden records are complete so I think it is more likely that the children were not baptised, sure some records do not survive but seven I think is unlikely.

There are two John Youngson death records on SP with the age recorded plus a couple of others no age, none are near Longside or Cruden.

3/09/1841 age 55 (1786) Old Machar
30/03/1842 age 78 (1764) Aberdeen

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 August 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether they might perhaps have been adherents of the Episcopal Church?

According to the New Statistical Account of Longside (written in 1845), "The number of families belonging to the Established Church, in 1831, was 424; of persons of all ages, 1751, of Seceders attending meeting-houses in other parishes, 122; of Episcopalians, 606." So about a third of the population of Longside was Episcopalian.

The NSA article about Cruden is less informative, but says, "The number of communicants is 840 .... There is one Scotch Episcopal chapel, and divine service is well attended there and in the Established Church."

So there is a reasonable possibility that your missing baptisms were performed by the Episcopal clergyman, and not recorded by the clerk to the Church of Scotland.

Finding surviving Episcopalian baptism records is not easy. Some are with the churches, if they still exist. Others are in diocesan, local or university archives and I am not aware of any list of which registers have survived and where they are kept.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 August 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your help :)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 23:28 BST (UK) »
Aberdeenshire libraries have copies of the books mentioned below. They may contain the information you seek.
The registers of St James the Less, Episcopal Chapel, Cruden, Diocese of Aberdeen and Orkney, Scotland : 1807-1870
Maxwell, A Strath
The registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths/burials : St John's Episcopal Chapel, Longside, Aberdeenshire, Scotland : 1727-1889 / A Strath Maxwell.
Maxwell, A Strath

regards,

flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you flst next time I am back in Aberdeenshire I will take a look :)