Author Topic: COLLETT family, Halesworth - 1785 to 1813  (Read 2176 times)

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
COLLETT family, Halesworth - 1785 to 1813
« on: Friday 22 June 18 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hello fellow Rooters,

I trying to track down info on Robert Collett, Charles Collett and Mary Collett who were bakers and millers in Halesworth between 1785 and 1813, though maybe a bit either side of this range is probable.

BMD info would be good, but anything relating to their mill would be brilliant!

The mill may have been on Mill Hill, Halesworth; William may have been married to Mary Collett, and Charles may have been their son.

I also suspect there may have been a John Collett pre-dateing all these people, and he may have een alive until about 1788.

Cheers,
Windy

windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: COLLETT family, Halesworth - 1785 to 1813
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 June 18 03:51 BST (UK) »
There is this death notice in 1818:

"Saturday se'nnight died, at Halesworth, much respected, Mrs Collett, wife of Mr Charles Collett, confectioner, aged 74 years."

The Ipswich Journal, Saturday, August 29, 1818

There is also an advertisment for the sale of household furniture, stock etc of Charles COLLETT of Halesworth due to his "intention to decline business" in Sept 1818. I can copy it if you don't already have it?

Modified to add:
And an advertisement for the sale of the Mill at Mill Hill in 1813. Also an ad for the sale of Charles COLLETT's baker's shop at Halesworth in 1833. - I'm guessing you already have these?

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 June 18 04:00 BST (UK) »
Is this Charles in the 1841 census at "New Court" Halesworth

Charles Collett       85   
Mary Collett       69

(both born in County ie Suffolk)
HO107/1015/4 pg 1

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 June 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
If Mrs Collett, wife of Charles died in 1818, then it can't be the same Mrs Collett on the 1841 census. 

It's possible that Charles Collett on the 1841 census was the brother of my 3 x g.grandfather William Collett  - and so my 3 x g.g.uncle.  His nephew, my 2 x g.grandfather, his wife and 2 children were also living at New Court, Halesworth in 1841.

Windy, I don't know how much info you have about the Colletts or whether you know of the site http://www.collettfamilyhistory.net - if you go to that site and look for Part 18, you will find out all about the Colletts in Suffolk from 1360 to 2010.

Of course, it's very possible that your ancestors are a different branch of the Suffolk Colletts, but if you go to the website above, and scan down to the bottom of the first page you will see the email address of Brian Collett who, with the help of many Collett ancestors, has compiled the family tree.  I'm sure he'd be delighted to hear from you with any info you have.

Lizzie

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 June 18 01:49 BST (UK) »
If Mrs Collett, wife of Charles died in 1818, then it can't be the same Mrs Collett on the 1841 census. 

I don't know, but I was thinking given the age difference (and the rounding of the 1841 census) that they may have been father and daughter.

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddy & Lizzie,

I'll look into this shortly.

Mrs. Windy Miller had a fall and I'm putting research to one side as I tend to her.  I have lots of newspaper stuff, but will need to check things over.

In the meantime a BIG thank you.

Windy

PS I'll look at the Collett link tomorrow, thanks.
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 00:40 BST (UK) »
Oh that's no good, I hope she's on the mend soon.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 08:50 BST (UK) »
Oh sorry to hear that Windy, please wish your wife a speedy recovery.

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie & Maddy,

Maddy, your right; I have most of the paper stuff already.

Lizzie, my interest in the Collett's limited to their being millers, rather than genealogy.  I looked at the site but it does not refer to Collett employment.  This is what I have.  Please feel free to forward it on.  And if any Colletts know of early mill-links in Suffolk (esp. Halesworth!) I'd like to add them to my database.

From various sources and all in Halesworth ...
Chas. Collett milling with a Mathew Swan                                     1791/01/01
Chas. Collett as a miller                                                              1793/12/07
Chas. Collett, baker, took apprentice                                            1807/09/04
Chas. Collett selling his windmill on Mill Hill, Halesworth                 1813/11/13
Robt. & Mary Collet (miller) had son, Chas. Thos. Collett                1815/06/02

Outside of my area of general interest I have ...
John Collet, miller, occ. of farm in Quy, for sale                       1803/09/14
John Collett selling s watermill in Little Wilbraham, Cambs             1810/02/17
Death of Susannah Swarm (nee Collett) (d. of Mr. Collett, Quy)     1827/01/17
Death of John Collett, miller, at Stow-cum-Quy, Cambridgeshire    1829/01/21
Marriage of Wm. Kent Collett to Elizabeth Kent in Quy                   1831/06/29
Storm damage of Mr. Collett's mill, in Quy                                    1843/08/16
Death of Widow of John Collett (Quy) at Taversham                      1849/12/26

Cheers for now,
Windy

PS.  Mrs. Windy is on the mend  :)