Author Topic: Bambrough  (Read 1075 times)

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bambrough
« on: Friday 22 June 18 03:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

After much confusion and misleading information I have got my Bambrough line sorted.  So this is what I have so far.

William Bambrough  born 25 Dec 1851 in Sunderland, Durham  died c1916 in Houghton-Le-Spring, Durham
married to Ann Swallow in 1873.

His parents were:

James Bambourgh  B. 31/7/1825 Houghton Le Spring, Durham  D. 5/4/1888 Houghton Le Spring, Durham
married 1850 to
Dorothy Heslop.
They had the following children:
William (as above)
James 1855-
Isabella 1857-1940
Thomas 1860-1947
George Robson 1863-1935
John Henry 1867-1921
Jane 1869-
Robert 1870-1923
Alfred Frederick 1873-1955
Madeline 1876-1913

James's parents were:

William Bambrough B.4/5/1794 Washington, Durham D. c1876 Durham
married in 1819 to
Margaret Thompson

Wiliam's parents were:

John Bambrough B. c1755 Durham
married ? to
Elizabeth (last name unknown)

John was the son of John Bambrough B. c1723 Durham and Joanna (last name unknown)

I would very much like to know the last names of both John's wives - Elizabeth and Joanna.

And also any other information of this family,

Many thanks
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bambrough
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 18 08:31 BST (UK) »
If it helps anyone John Bambrough baptised 4 May 1755 s/o John and Joanne was in Sunderland Holy Trinity

Burial Sunderland Holy Trinity:  19 May 1800 Joanna Bamborough, of East End, age 90, died 16 May 1800, widow

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 June 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks. 

That is definitely helpful :)
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 09:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help.

So far I haven't been able to find any marriage for a John Bambrough to a Joanna for anywhere in Durham County.

What I have found is 2 children - Mary b 1746 and John b1755.

I imagine there would have been other children born between but I haven't found any yet.

If Joanna was 90 when she died then she was born c1710.  John her husband was born maybe around the same give or take 10 years either side.

Any ideas of where I can go now would be appreciated.

thanks

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
My wife is also descended from a Joanna Bambrough in Sunderland but her husband was Robert.

Robert and Joanna's children were baptised between 1745 and 1760 but not in the same years as those of John.

It seems unlikely, but could this be the same family but the wrong name was given for the father on two occasions?

Robert married Joanna Robinson in 1744. Could she be the person buried in 1800?

David