Author Topic: The Elusive Eugene and Bernard Brady  (Read 1939 times)

Offline MyLittleSwede

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Elusive Eugene and Bernard Brady
« on: Friday 22 June 18 04:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have run into a brick wall tracing my Brady family in Dublin.  I was rocking along, having found my Great-Grandfather, Edward Joseph Brady, born on 11 April 1874 in South Dublin, his father is listed as Eugene Brady and his mother, Margarite O'Brien.  I found a record of their marriage on 26 December 1861 in Rathmines.  His parents are recorded as Bernardi Brady of Rathmines and Margarita O'Brien of Rathmines.  From there, the trail goes cold, I can't find a record of Eugene's birth or any trace of Bernard Brady and Margarita O'Brien.  I have searched Ancestry, Find My Past, Roots.ie., the National Archives of Ireland and Irish Genealogy.ie.  I have searched all Ireland as they may have moved into Dublin to escape the famine, but I can't find anything that definitely links Eugene to any of the Bernard Bradys I have found. 
Have I missed something?  Is there anywhere else I could look?  I'm a bit stuck and would be grateful for any suggestions offered please.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Elusive Eugene and Bernard Brady
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 June 18 04:37 BST (UK) »
Have you searched any Catholic church records yet?
Rathmines Dublin
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0518
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 June 18 05:18 BST (UK) »
Hi.
At findmypast.ie the index to the parish registers is free to use and look at, but I didn't find either Eugene Brady or Margarite O'Brien's baptisms. I looked for them with a birth year of
1830 +/- 15 years. It sounds from your post like you already tried this.

Just to be clear, were Eugene Brady's mother and wife both named Margarite O'Brien, or did I read your post wrong?

Have you looked in Griffith's Valuation for Rathmines or anywhere else for Eugene or Bernard?  You can search them and view them at http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/. Before that were the Tithe Applotment books (correct title?), but I don't remember offhand where they are online.

Eugene and Bernard are unusual first names, which might help. If you find them re-occurring in a Brady family in only one area of Ireland, that might be a hint.

JohnGrenham's site will let you search for two surnames on Griffiths and show where they overlapped in Ireland. You could try that, but Brady and O'Brien probably overlap in a lot of places.

And when in doubt, start Googling the names and locations. You never know what you will find.

Look for siblings of Edward Joseph Brady and find out all you can about all of them. One of their obituaries might just say something about their origins. Where did they settle? I am used to working with US records, and sometimes you can turn up a county of origin in an obituary or county history, but I don't know what UK records would reveal.

Sorry for all the usual suggestions, which you have probably run through already, but researching Irishmen gets pretty tough before the civil records start.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 June 18 05:22 BST (UK) »
And O'Brien might be Brien on the records, but you probably have run into that already also.

I don't know if Brady was an anglicized version of an earlier Irish name or not. I haven't done any Bradys.
And they might be O'Brady.

Offline MyLittleSwede

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 June 18 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi OldOhioHome and thank you for your very helpful suggestions. You didn’t read my message wrong, Margarita O’Brien was the wife of Eugene Brady. Bernard’s wife was recorded as Marie, with no surname. Of course, that could be recorded elsewhere as Mary and I did find a Bernard Brady married to Mary Duff in the right timeframe but I was unable to find a definite link to Eugene, so I’ve made a note and moved on.
I have dabbled with Griffiths valuation but must confess to not really being sure what it is and so have not really searched with intent. I shall find out and have a good look.
The names are relatively uncommon and Eugene does recur in later family, my Dad was as Brendan Patrick Eugene and until now, none of my living relatives knew why. I wonder if he did, but unfortunately I can’t ask him.
I will try simply googling and I have found all of my Great Grandfather’s siblings, so I’ll do an in-depth search for each of them.
Brady is an anglicisation of O’Bradaigh. I will search for that too, although Brady seems to be the common form in all of the records I’ve searched.
It has occurred to me that the family may have been in England for a while and Eugene and/or Bernard could have been born there, so that’s another avenue.
Thanks once again for your time and trouble

Offline MyLittleSwede

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 June 18 06:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks WhiteOut, a good suggestion. I have had a look there, to no avail, but I’ll look again with a little more enthusiasm.  Kind Regards

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 June 18 07:02 BST (UK) »
I found a record of their marriage on 26 December 1861 in Rathmines.  His parents are recorded as Bernardi Brady of Rathmines and Margarita O'Brien of Rathmines.  From there, the trail goes cold, I can't find a record of Eugene's birth or any trace of Bernard Brady and Margarita O'Brien.

Eugene Brady father Bernard but I can't see any mother
Eugene is from Ranelagh (marriages usually happen in the brides church) although his father seems to be from Rathmines.
Margaret O'Brien father Peter mother Maria
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m8n/
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633750#page/22/mode/1up

Edwards birth. Orrs Terrace father a Clerk
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1874/03150/2155501.pdf
Ann Jane 1872 Orrs Terrace father a Yard Clerk
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1872/03250/2190913.pdf

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 June 18 07:46 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know for your searches
Eugene is also known as Owen
Bernard is also known as Bryan

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate