Author Topic: John Newman  (Read 2088 times)

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Newman
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 June 18 04:41 BST (UK) »
Oh My God that is so awesome.  Thanks everyone for all the information, I am beyond happy.

Poor man dying of cholera of all things.  I imagine that the ship must have been put into quarantine if they had a cholera outbreak on board.

Definitely gives me more of an insight to the man and more to follow in regards to his parents.

He is now the 3rd ancestor I have found that was a Master Mariner.

Sadly his son who was also a Master Mariner died at sea when his ship Tiberius vanished on a voyage from New York to England.  So much tragedy in one family.
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 June 18 06:07 BST (UK) »
So John was born in July 1800 in Lynn Regis but his parents William and Elizabeth didn't marry until 1803.

Would that be correct?
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 June 18 06:22 BST (UK) »
William and Elizabeth may not be his parents, their son John was baptized 1st October 1804 at St Margaret's Kings Lynn as found by Annette

ADDED, however if he was 50 when he died it moves his birth date to 1803/1804.

His masters and mates certificate gives 1800.

More information needed on William and Elizabeth for verification

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 June 18 07:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying.  I thought as much but just wanted to check.

Can't imagine he would have lied on his Master Cert unless he wanted to knock 3 years off his age, which is a possibility

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 June 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
There is the possibility that John Newman fibbed about his age or guessed.

Children of William and Elizabeth Newman re Freereg
John bap 1 October 1804
William 16 April 1807
William 25 November 1808 ***
Elizabeth 20 April 1810 born 22 November 1808
Mary Ann 11 June 1811  buried 12 July 1811
Mary 21 May 1813 born 19th May, buried 13 July 1813

*** should this have been Elizabeth and the clerk made a mistake and put the fathers name instead, so she was baptised 2 years later.

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 June 18 21:32 BST (UK) »

There is also the possibly that he was born in 1800 but not baptised until 1804 - after his parents married.

Maybe?

Offline VHNew54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 15:19 BST (UK) »
Great to stumble across this post! I've also been trying to track down more information on John Newman, a definite birth date (as found by others, he has 1800 and 1803 on different documents, etc) and his parents etc (William and Elizabeth seem to be most possible). I have also recently found his death whilst Master of the Chieftain but have yet to find a Will which he probably had somewhere as his family were back in Wear St, Bishopwearmouth in 1851 Census. Anyone have any more info on John Newman?

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hi VHNew54

I can tell you what I know which isn't a lot and most likely you already have this information.

Beside the birth and death info which is already in his post  John married a Mary Routledge on the 19th Aug 1827 in BishopWearmouth, Durham.

He and Mary had the following children:

Robert Thompson Newman b.29 Sep 1830 Sunderland, Tyne and Wear (he was also a Master Mariner and died at sea when his ship disappeared - he is my ancestor)

Hannah Newman b, 10 Dec 1834 Sunderland, Tyne and Wear
married 26 Dec 1872 to Joseph Gray at St Peter, Bishop-Wearmouth, Durham, England

John Newman b. 21 Jun 1837 Bishopwearmouth
died 1897 in Sunderland
Married Jane Wandless - had several children

Mary Isabella Newman b. 1844 Sunderland (according to the census - haven't yet found a birth cert for her)
married William Graham in 1866
died 1923. - she had 1 daughter and 2 sons with William.

hope this helps

Offline VHNew54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 07:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the info, fred21.
On my family tree I have Mary Isabella Newman with a birth registration in Jul-Aug-Sept 1843 (found on familysearch). Hope that helps you a little bit!
John Newman (1837-1897) is my ancestor, younger brother of Robert Thompson Newman.
Will hopefully next look into William and Elizabeth as probable parents of John Newman, born in Lynn - that's had been a stumbling block for ages and may remain 'probable', I'd guess.