Author Topic: My grandfather's attestation record  (Read 955 times)

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My grandfather's attestation record
« on: Friday 22 June 18 10:15 BST (UK) »
My late grandfather enlisted with Royal Artillery in 1940 and although I know his service number as well as his role in the war. But I'm a bit confused about the abbreviations used in his attestation record so I was wondering if someone could explain the abbreviations for me? His name is George Stewart/ Picture attached.

Thanks.
Stewarts from Moffat and Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Twaddles and Wrights from County Longford, Ireland.
Weirs from Ayrshire, Scotland.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My grandfather's attestation record
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 June 18 11:19 BST (UK) »
Under the number is 79th Med which means 79th Medium Regiment.  In the last column his discharge was under Paragraph 390 (xvi)  of Kings Regulations 1940  - a medical discharge usually.

My belief is that the remainder of the hieroglyphics are administrative references which have no significant meaning today.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 June 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
Am I right in thinking that the 79th Medium regiment is Scotland Horse? I have a picture of my Grandfather in his official military portrait and although you can see his bonnet which has a regiment badge on it but you can't really make out what it is.

I never knew my grandfather as he died before I was born. All I know about my grandfather is that he enlisted in 1940 and was designated as driver/gunner (substantive rank) and was injured sometimes in between 1940 and 1945. He said that he was a sole survivor of a freak accident as result of an explosion but my family know nothing more about this. From what I gathered, my dad said that his dad didn't really talk much about what happened but that he lost an arm in the incident which I mentioned before. We're going to request information from the MOD using next of kin forms.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 June 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
Yes it was, as was the 80th Medium Regiment RA.

It is likely that the cap badge will be that of the Royal Artillery, other accoutrements may have reflected (in this case) Scottishness (is that a word?) but it was normal for the regimental cap badge to be retained.  Veteran here:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=rXGPUolY&id=1AA439756DD4EDEF999836685FBD06024B8D0DA7&thid=OIP.rXGPUolY86jMn8G9V5I-wAHaFU&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fww2.pglel.co.uk%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2016%2f08%2flancsfreemason01-1.jpg&exph=689&expw=960&q=79th+medium+regiment+ra&simid=608048705874691100&selectedIndex=39&ajaxhist=0

I'm not sure about the wearing of 3 badges which may simply be the desire of a veteran to show every relevant badge.  For example the HD on his bonnet is the Highland Division which was not a cap badge.  But then one never knows about what were/are called regimental hookums (customs)

Very sensible to get his record which will tell you a lot more including whether he stayed with 79 Med Regt RA.  Be patient, it takes months sometimes!

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 June 18 20:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I'm still learning about military and the history surrounding Royal Artillery. I didn't realise there were so many different regiments within one particular regiment. I'm willing to learn more about searching for any information regarding military records as I have several uncles who served in the WW1 and in-between the wars. So any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 June 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
Starting with the Great War, this link to the Longlongtrail will tell you about the many branches of the Royal Artillery in that war.
http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/

I've mislaid the reference for something similar for WW2, back when I find it!

For the Gunners in WW2:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160304002223/http://www.ra39-45.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

MaxD

PS  Service records for the Great War are, if they survived a bombing raid in WW2 which destroyed 60% of them, are generally findable.  Medal records and others exist too.  Best approached on a case by case basis.

WW2 service records are still held by the Ministry of Defence and can be applied (and paid) for subject to conditions:
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk