Author Topic: William THOMPSON, born 1837, Yorkshire (?)  (Read 383 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William THOMPSON, born 1837, Yorkshire (?)
« on: Friday 22 June 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hello

I hope this is the correct Board.

William THOMPSON is supposed to have enlisted in the 83rd Regiment of Foot in August 1855.

Naval and Military Courts Martial Registers, 1806-1930, indicate that a William THOMPSON was tried on 20/10/1855 at Portsmouth: TNA Reference: ADM 194/7.    Unfortunately, I have tried searching that reference but cannot find any details for William THOMPSON.   Can anyone suggest how I can access that reference please?

Thank you,

BAC3

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William THOMPSON, born 1837, Yorkshire (?)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 June 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
At Kew or on Fold 3 the premium bit of Ancestry.

However, that is the record of courts martial relating to Portsmouth Division Royal Marines and your William was in the army so I would doubt he is there.  Army courts martial are in WO series documents.  The 83rd Foot was in India with their depot in Chatham in 1855.

Do you know that your William Thompson was court martialled or is it just the name that led you to the ADM reference?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William THOMPSON, born 1837, Yorkshire (?)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 June 18 20:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you MaxD,

It was simply the juxtaposition on the Register of William THOMPSON, 1855 and Portsmouth that suggested on the balance of probabilities it was the same person.

He  was discharged early from Parkhurst Prison in August 1855 and he intimated on his discharge papers that he was going to Portsmouth to enlist in the 83rd Regiment of Foot.   But I can find no military record of him other than the mistaken identity above.

For the moment,

BAC3