Author Topic: John Pochin christening  (Read 1666 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Pochin christening
« on: Friday 22 June 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Can anyone find a christening or marriage for John Pochin, probably in Wigston Magna, prior to 1714? I have his burial there in 1731 I think.

I'd appreciate any assistance!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: John Pochin christening
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 June 18 21:40 BST (UK) »
I see his will is available online. I haven’t read it; does it give any clues re other  family members?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 June 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
I haven't seen his will either. All I know is his burial date sadly.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 June 18 09:16 BST (UK) »
In his will, he mentions:-
Father: John Pochin,
Wife: Mary
Children: Robert, Richard, Elizabeth, Mary and Ann.
Witnesses: John Goodrich, Matthew Holmes, Amy ??, Edward Davy and Armston Pochin.

He mentioned that the ancient estate of his father was settled upon him on his marriage to Mary.

Inventory signed by Richard Bruin and John Goodrich.

Married Mary Brewer (probably Brewin) on 13th October 1701.

Mary possibly the daughter of John Brewin, baptised on 22nd June 1684 in Wigston Magna.

Richard Bruin, who signed the inventory, was possibly Mary's brother, baptised on 27th December 1687.

John Bruin may have married Mary Gillberd in Wigston on 18th November 1674.

David

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 June 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of that! I've found a book from 1887 that traces the rest of the family back, including a profile of the family in Wigston.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 June 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
You may have the following already:-

There is a extract which gives the baptism and marriage for John Pochin, although the date of the baptism is incorrect. It should be 17th September 1668, not 17th November.

Also, Mary was the daughter of Richard Bruin - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VpnC3wgof6gC&dq=%22john+pochin%22+bruin&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=%221701+Mary%22

"Mary, dau. of Richard Bruin, of Wigston (a lineal descendant of Sir Guy de Bruyn, a Norman knight)"

See also - https://ourfamilystorycom.wordpress.com/2017/08/20/the-brewin-family/ - which mentions John Pochin.

Mary Bruin
Baptism date: ?? Mar 1677
Baptism place: Wigston Magna
Father: Richard
Mother: Cuddy

"Here Lyeth the remains of RICHARD BRUIN senior and GOODITH his wife, aged 152 (82?)
years, Jan. 21 Anno Do. 1718." - buried 23rd Jan.

"Richard Bruin (baptised at Wigston Magna, 17th September 1637, son of Robert), married --- Goodith.  Richard died 21st January 1718-19)."

David

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 June 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks! I'll note all that down.

Offline susieroe

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 June 18 08:43 BST (UK) »
You may have the following already:-

There is a extract which gives the baptism and marriage for John Pochin, although the date of the baptism is incorrect. It should be 17th September 1668, not 17th November.

Also, Mary was the daughter of Richard Bruin - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VpnC3wgof6gC&dq=%22john+pochin%22+bruin&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=%221701+Mary%22

"Mary, dau. of Richard Bruin, of Wigston (a lineal descendant of Sir Guy de Bruyn, a Norman knight)"

See also - https://ourfamilystorycom.wordpress.com/2017/08/20/the-brewin-family/ - which mentions John Pochin.

Mary Bruin
Baptism date: ?? Mar 1677
Baptism place: Wigston Magna
Father: Richard
Mother: Cuddy

"Here Lyeth the remains of RICHARD BRUIN senior and GOODITH his wife, aged 152 (82?)
years, Jan. 21 Anno Do. 1718." - buried 23rd Jan.

"Richard Bruin (baptised at Wigston Magna, 17th September 1637, son of Robert), married --- Goodith.  Richard died 21st January 1718-19)."

David

David, thanks for giving the link to Our Family Story - this is my blog! I didn't know about Sir Guy de Bruyn, though I suspect the family at Wigston descend from the Brewins/Brewernes of Belgrave. As usual, more digging to be done. :)
Roe,Wells, Bent, Kemp, Weston
Bruin, Gillam, Hurd/Heard, Timson, All in Leicestershire. Keats (Kates)

https://ourkeatsfamilystory.blogspot.com/

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 June 18 08:50 BST (UK) »
Have you anything on the Pochins of Gilmorton?