Author Topic: John Pochin christening  (Read 1689 times)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Pochin christening
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 June 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
The earliest record that I can find for Gilmorton is the marriage of Richard Pochin and Jane Warden at St Nicholas, Leicester, on 10th July 1739. Both were from Gilmorton as were some other records. In fact, nearly all of the records were from outside the city.

The only Richard of about the right age was the son of John of Wigston, baptised on 25th May 1714.

There is a will of John Pochin in 1769 which mentions his brother, Richard. It also mentions that Richar has sons and the only one I can find with sons is of Gilmorton. Unfortunately, there is no mention of their abodes.

It may need more research to prove but there is a strong possibility that Richard of Gilmorton was the son of John of Wigston.

David

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 June 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
That's the hypothesis I've been working on, and his son George (my ancestor) married and died in Wigston Magna in 1820.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 June 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
I was in a bit a a rush because we were going out this morning but have had a more detailed read of the will.

The sons of Richard, mentioned by John in his will of 1768, were John, George and Thomas- i.e. the same names of the sons of Richard and Jane of Gilmorton.

I will send a p.m.

David

Offline cfbandit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 May 23 18:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of that! I've found a book from 1887 that traces the rest of the family back, including a profile of the family in Wigston.
MacGrigor, I know this post is from ages ago, lol, but I wonder if you have found more detail about this family?

I've been working on my mtDNA line and recently was able to add Anne Pochin, daughter of John and Mary Brewin Pochin, to the line, and have been steadily now working up the list thanks to leads from this forum and the associated documents on Findmypast!

So I'm now to Richard Brewin and Goodith and trying to see if anyone's made any leads on her, and it doesn't appear many have.