Author Topic: Mystery woman from Bermuda...or Birmingham, England?  (Read 10388 times)

Offline JewellersGranddaughter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery woman from Bermuda...or Birmingham, England?
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 28 June 18 18:19 BST (UK) »

I can only find one George Scott architect in 1851 & 1861 censuses.  He was George Gilbert SCOTT b 1811.  He was knighted in 1872 and died in 1878  (Wikipedia)

But he didn't get married (To Caroline OLDRID) until 1838

Sons born to them seem well documented with no sign of visits to Bermuda

I can't find the parents of George Scott, born (circa) 1809. I wonder if he was not born in Birmingham, England.  I think my Mother's family have a northern England link. I found John Scott--1 in Birstall, York, and John Scott, in
Findon, Sussex.

George Scott (whoever he was) really is key in all of this.  Until the right Scott line is established in the UK there is no way of establishing a link with whatever went on in Bermuda.  Unfortunately without a birthplace for his son William it’s hard to make progress on this.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 28 June 18 20:39 BST (UK) »
Please could you point us to the 1851 census you’re relying on - what is the birthplace of your George Scott b c 1809 and where is he in 1851?  Is he an architect or similar?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 29 June 18 09:46 BST (UK) »

His parents were William Scott and Rosina Juliette Harlow, who married at Aston on 10 October 1858.  William was 26, an office clerk of Aston Manor, son of George Scott, architect.

Been through the 1841 for a William of right sort of age with (presumed) father George (architect).
Closest is in Peeblesshire Scotland - George's occupation is Mason J (journeyman?). A mason might be involved in design as well as stone cutting / carving and son might have bigged up the occupation to architect.

living in Cockitslane, Linton, Peeblesshire, Scotland
George Scott 35 b Peeblesshire
Christian Scott  35 b Scotland
William Scott  10 b Peeblesshire
John Scott  8 b Peeblesshire
Marion Scott  4  b Peeblesshire

The family is still there in 1851, William is apprentice stone mason.  Could he have moved to Birmingham area by 1858 and become a clerk?

I can't find any of the family in 1861
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 29 June 18 10:44 BST (UK) »

As of 1861, the punishment in Bermuda for a Caucasian woman bearing a black child was whipping, so would their marriage be legal in Bermuda in 1865, when their first child was born? (I read that online somewhere, but can't remember the source).

Samuel was technically a free man when that first child was born?

"1863. January 1. President Lincoln, aware of the public's growing support of abolition, issued the Emancipation Proclamation declaring that all slaves in areas still in rebellion were, in the eyes of the federal government, free."
"1865. June 2.  The US Civil War ended with victory for the Union when General Edmund Kirby Smith, commander of the Confederate forces west of the Mississippi, surrendered to Union forces"

Wonder what month their first child was born in?

I did read that there were many more females than males on Bermuda too, so it may have been hard to find a European male to have a relationship with. Aprroximately 6 or 7 men per 10 females due to war, shipwrecks and disease https://www.jstor.org/stable/3174484?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 29 June 18 10:58 BST (UK) »
1910 Marion Easton is a widow and in hospital
Says she has 7 living children (out of 15)
parent's birth place recorded as Bermuda, and then that has been crossed out and it seems to say Atlantic Is  - is there such a place?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9RV5-47V?i=24&cc=1727033

Atlantic as a birth place (possibly born at sea?) but then it says Atlantic Is. (as in Islands)

Is she Marion J Easton on that document too?

Also she is in an Sanatorium for Tuberculosis disease :(
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 29 June 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
Did we pick up in the 1920's United states census for Prasaic that Marion E Easton is remarried to a Walter Davis?

Walter Davis   Head   M   40   Virginia
Marion E Davis   Wife   F   47   Bermuda
Everett Easton   Stepson   M   24   Bermuda
Stewart Easton   Stepson   M   21   Bermuda
Genevieve Easton   Stepdaughter   F   18   Bermuda
Robert Easton   Stepson   M   17   Bermuda
Wesley Easton   Stepson   M   15   Bermuda

In 1930 Census - She becomes Marion E H Davis

She married Walter Davis between 1910 and 1915

Wonder where she died?
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 29 June 18 11:33 BST (UK) »

As of 1861, the punishment in Bermuda for a Caucasian woman bearing a black child was whipping, so would their marriage be legal in Bermuda in 1865, when their first child was born? (I read that online somewhere, but can't remember the source).

Samuel was technically a free man when that first child was born?

"1863. January 1. President Lincoln, aware of the public's growing support of abolition, issued the Emancipation Proclamation declaring that all slaves in areas still in rebellion were, in the eyes of the federal government, free."
"1865. June 2.  The US Civil War ended with victory for the Union when General Edmund Kirby Smith, commander of the Confederate forces west of the Mississippi, surrendered to Union forces"

Wonder what month their first child was born in?

I did read that there were many more females than males on Bermuda too, so it may have been hard to find a European male to have a relationship with. Aprroximately 6 or 7 men per 10 females due to war, shipwrecks and disease https://www.jstor.org/stable/3174484?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Wasn't Bermuda a British colony?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 29 June 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
Yes that was the problem they got involved in the America civil war... they (Bermuda) were used by the Confederate ships as a port by 1865 though the Union side had won the war.

Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 29 June 18 11:57 BST (UK) »
Did we pick up in the 1920's United states census for Prasaic that Marion E Easton is remarried to a Walter Davis?

Yes, they married in 1913 - see my earlier post below, and also the one before that linking to 1920 & 1930 census.

New Jersey Marriage Index for Marion Easton & Walter E Davis:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m9n/

I have no idea what information is on New Jersey marriage records, but I have several marriages from other US states which name both parents of the bride and the groom.  If Marion is sister to Charles and Stuart then perhaps your best bet would be to obtain a copy of this marriage from the New Jersey State Archives?

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.