Author Topic: HOLLINGSWORTH  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Dragonluva

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOLLINGSWORTH
« on: Saturday 23 June 18 05:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have struck a bit of a wall and am hoping someone might be able to help, please.

Louisa HOLLINGSWORTH on her marriage certificate in 1881 (New Zealand) she gives her age as 21, spinster, birthplace Stroud, Gloucester, England. Father William HOLLINGSWORTH (labourer) - Mother ----- HOLLINGSWORTH.

I have hunted and hunted but can't find anyone that fits. I don't know when she came to NZ but a family member told me that her sister fell off the ship when they got to NZ, and drowned, but I can't find anything on Papers Past.

Thank you for your time.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HOLLINGSWORTH
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
When Louisa married - what where the names of her children (looking for family names)

HOLLINGSWORTH was not a common name in Gloucestershire and there is only  John & Hannah (nee TERRY)  HOLLINGSWORTH (from Birmingham) having a few children in Gloucestershire including a Louisa in 1857 - He was a railway clerk for the Railways - and people came from all over the country to work for the railways.

---

??

There was a Stroud Workhouse - on the 1861 Census, there is for example, Foundling female aged 3 - born not known etc.

Orphans were sometimes sent to the Colonies

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 June 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
That 'Louisa' is Louis a male birth registered March qtr 1858.  Census has him as a Male
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 June 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
This is a 'very long shot'  but there is a STROOD in Kent and on the 1861 census is this family

HOLLINGSWORTH -
William 30 - Gas Works labourer, born Suffolk, Holton
Louisa - 28 -
Joseph - 5
Jane - 4
Matilda 1 month  (this is Laura Matilda registered in Kent - mother's maiden name: STAMMERS from the GRO Index)

Baptised 9 October 1861 at Strood, near Rochester, Kent, parents William & Louisa

can't see any more children on the GRO Index after 'Laura'

although I can find Joseph on the 1871 census - at the moment can't find the rest of the family.

We do have a William and a Wife Louisa.

Did Louisa just say STROOD and not the County? and 'some-one' just assumed Gloucestershire

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 June 18 12:33 BST (UK) »
Not sure what information NZ marriages have - are there witnesses  :-\

Have you found any other Hollingsworth's in the area (NZ)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 June 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
I presume she married Thomas James Tracey 1881
There is also another 1881 Marriage;
EMILY Hollingsworth to George SMALLEY

Does the 1881 Marriage not have any extra info?
Witnesses etc.
Ones I have have excellent info.

Do you have her 1940 Death Cert also?

Also I would request a look up on the NZ Board for the Intention to Marry for Louisa/Thomas.
And possibly that Emily in case they are Sisters.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Dragonluva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 June 18 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thank you all for your replies and help.

Capetown: Louisa married Thomas James TRACEY - their children are Charles Henry Edward, Thomas James William, Agnes Ann (after her father's mother) and Louisa Catherine. Catherine is also a TRACEY family name.

I also found the family in Strood, Kent and wondered if that could be them but Laura Matilda was buried 12 Nov 1861 and her mother Louisa was buried 29 Jan. 1862. Unless there was an older daughter called Louisa, but if there was she doesn't appear on the 1861 census.

The info I gave in my first post is as it appears on the marriage cert., but who knows if someone miss heard or assumed something.

Rosie99: There are witnesses on the cert. but they are the groom's sister and her soon to be husband.

There is a William HOLLINGSWORTH died in roughly the same area of NZ. In 1885 aged 63 years so it would be possible that he is Louisa's father.

Trish1120: There is nothing else helpful on the cert. Witnesses don't help as they are grooms family.
No, I have not got her death cert. as I have found them unreliable in the past because people supplying info often don't know much. But maybe I need to give it a try.
Thanks re Intention to Marry idea.

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 June 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
Re Emily
Death notice, image not very clear!
Auckland Star, 29 September 1915
SMALLEY On September 28(?) at her late residence 73(?) Alexandra Street, after a long and painful slckness  Emily, the beloved wife of G. Smalley and youngest daughter of the late Frederick Hollingsworth, Launceston, Tasmania, aged 59(?) years

Death reg says 59.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 June 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
This is a 'very long shot'  but there is a STROOD in Kent and on the 1861 census is this family

HOLLINGSWORTH -
William 30 - Gas Works labourer, born Suffolk, Holton
Louisa - 28 -
Joseph - 5
Jane - 4
Matilda 1 month  (this is Laura Matilda registered in Kent - mother's maiden name: STAMMERS from the GRO Index)

Baptised 9 October 1861 at Strood, near Rochester, Kent, parents William & Louisa

can't see any more children on the GRO Index after 'Laura'

although I can find Joseph on the 1871 census - at the moment can't find the rest of the family.

We do have a William and a Wife Louisa.

Did Louisa just say STROOD and not the County? and 'some-one' just assumed Gloucestershire

Not looking good  :'(

Death Dec qtr 1861 
Hollingsworth    Laura Matilda    - age 0   
N Aylesford    2a   193

Death Mar qtr 1862   
HOLLINGSWORTH    Louisa   -age 30    
N.Aylesford    2a   202