Author Topic: Rogers & Connolly - New York  (Read 3027 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rogers & Connolly - New York
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
Have Johanna Grant on the 1930 and 1940 Census in New York. No other of her siblings immigrated.

Did she marry? I can’t see her yet. Wondering if she stayed in the same area as her relatives.
I have tried Irish marriages in the area but can’t see any suitable with those names.  :-\

Added - found her now.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 17:26 BST (UK) »
Yes, Heywood - she did marry but can't find the marriage for her. She's on the census as Johanna/Anna Ormond with husband Joseph Ormond. Know her father's siblings - all accounted for but no idea of mother's as haven't put her siblings into my tree.

E-mailed a heap of churches around 407 W 47th yesterday evening, and two have got back to me - one for more information, and the other wants $30 just to do a search
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
Yes I saw her in the census.
It is so frustrating when the formalities are used - Mrs-  but no first name.  ::)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
I don't have a lot of time now to read through this thread, but I hope to later.

Meanwhile, just in case, do you know about this database:
http://www.italiangen.org/records-search/

it has vital records for NYC, all names, not just Italian.

And if you start here, https://stevemorse.org/census/unified.html, you might be able to find that address on W 47th St in the 1930 ED's. Set the date at the top of the page to 1930 and follow directions. It might take a few tries to figure out, but it works.

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Oldohiohome - went through it, and did a mixture of surnames, and couldn't find anything that I was looking for.
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 June 18 00:19 BST (UK) »
I used that unified census finder to look for 407 West 47th, NY in 1930. There was no # 407 on West 47th, or else it  wasn't enumerated. There were no Connollys on W 47th. Here is the link to ED 350, Manhattan, if you want to look:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRZB-N3S?i=3&wc=QZF4-MQJ%3A649437801%2C651606201%2C651702201%2C1589284557&cc=1810731

Haven't looked for James Connollys in Manhattan yet.

-----
I also looked for 10 Adrian Ave, Bronx in 1930, but the stevemorse census finder didn't show a 10 Adrian Ave for 1930.

---
When she provided the information for the trip in October 1928, Johanna Grant said her nearest relative in Ireland was her mother, Mrs Grant, in  Knockanglass, Fethard, Co. Tipperary.

I don't know if you have this but, I think this is probably the family in 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tipperary/Cooleagh/Knockanglass/842561/

house 8 in Knockanglass (Cooleagh, Tipperary)
Jane Grant, 50
Patrick 19
Hannie, 15
more details on the link.

and in 1901:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tipperary/Cooleagh/Knockanglass/1704964/

Richard Grant, 40
Jane 40
Thomas 18
Marget 16
Patrick 9
Johanna 5

if so, this is probably her birth, making her mother's maiden name Stephens

Superintendent Registrar's District: Cashel
Registrar's District: Killenaule
Union of Cashel, Co of Tipperary

Birth,
March 9, 1896, in Moyglass
Johanna [daughter of] Richard Grant, a tailor of Moyglass, and Jane Grant, formerly Stephens. informant: the father.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/8e6c5b9778372?b=https%3A%2F%2Fcivilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie%2Fchurchrecords%2Fcivil-perform-search.jsp%3Fnamefm%3Dhanora%26namel%3Dgrant%26location%3DCashel%26yyfrom%3D1895%26yyto%3D1895%26type%3DB%26submit%3DSearch

Now all you have to do is search a zillion Grant or Stephens marriages for one to a Rodgers and a Connolly.

Just on a hunch, I looked for Rodgers/Rogers births in Cashel RD for 1880 to 1896 and there were none. So probably no Rodgers families in that area. So that marriage, Grant-Rodgers or Stephens-Rodgers might be more likely in the US.

By the way, there are lots of Rodgers in Northern Ireland in general,  in Kilkeel Parish and Registration District in particular.

There were 21 Connolly births in Cashel for that time period, so there were Connolly families in the area. But a cousin's maiden name wouldn't necessarily be Grant or Stephens.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 June 18 00:26 BST (UK) »
There are a lot of James Connollys in Manhattan but here's a James and Bertha Connolly at 463 West 49th, probably the same neighborhood. They might have moved between 1928 and 1930.

If you can work Bertha backward, maybe she is the one you are looking for. She arrived in 1910 and married in NY.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X4KJ-196

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 June 18 08:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Oldohiohome - the information you posted about Johanna is correct. A cousin of hers did end up in New York also, I have her up to 1915 in Nassau, but after that nothing...I did try and look for another marriage for her, but nothing came up. This is the only 1st cousin on her paternal line that I have living in New York.
Her name was Catherine Salmon, and lived with her husband William A in Hempstead in 1915. After 1915, I can't find anything on her lol

Offline Scottbklyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 March 19 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Happened upon this site by accident when I saw your post. Johanna Grant was my grandmother. She lived with her husband Joseph in Brooklyn, New York, up until Joseph's death in 1972. They had two children, Bridget Ann and Joseph Jr. After Joseph died, Johanna went live with her daughter in Buffalo, New York. Sadly, Johanna passed away just a few months later. Please stay in touch - we have so many questions, as I'm sure you do also!