Author Topic: Toronto Death Notices c1999  (Read 998 times)

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Toronto Death Notices c1999
« on: Saturday 23 June 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have a connection to someone who died ("suddenly") in Toronto on 9 November 1999. He was visiting from Australia, although the Adelaide (South Australia) newspaper death notices indicate he wasn't just passing through. So he have been staying with locals and working there temporarily. There may have been some local Toronto notices for him.

Can anyone please give me a pointer where to go for some form of notice index that might cover that period for Toronto?

I tried the Toronto Star Obituaries Home Page at legacy.com (which The Star redirects to). But these (and similar) online tribute sites don't seem to go back further than the mid-2000s.

Thanks for any thoughts

Craig
Canberra
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto Death Notices c1999
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/contact/#form

They were extremely helpful to me a few years back,they did a look up and didn't ask for any money for it either.

Someone may come along here later with access to a local newspaper.

Maybe you should think about giving this person's name so someone can try and look him up.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 18 08:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I'll try that avenue. His name was Trevor John GOODENOUGH (1943-1999), a teacher who was from Adelaide. He married into a distant branch of my family. There are a few private tree entries for him on Ancestry. I'm just after whether there are any Toronto death notices for him, not other information.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 June 18 17:12 BST (UK) »
There is a Tree that suggests he died in Niagara Falls not Toronto and his ashes were returned to Australia.  In case this is correct, it won't be in the Toronto Star but if published the Niagara Falls Review so you would have to contact the Niagara Falls Library.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 June 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much. The Adelaide notices said he died in Toronto and was looking forward to going back to Canada, a country he loved. So that's all I had to go on. I note Niagara Falls is not far away, so he could have been visiting for the day. I'll try both libraries.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 June 18 03:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I had a quick look in the Toronto Star and in the Globe and Mail...I don't see a death notice for him.

RK

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 June 18 04:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 June 18 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, 

Hoping I am not side-tracking, but there's Toronto as a suburb of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.    :)   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto,_New_South_Wales

JM

Thanks very much. The Adelaide notices said he died in Toronto and was looking forward to going back to Canada, a country he loved. So that's all I had to go on. I note Niagara Falls is not far away, so he could have been visiting for the day. I'll try both libraries.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 June 18 04:31 BST (UK) »
... and a Sydney in Nova Scotia! No, definitely, Toronto, Ontario.